Select first entry in drop down ;list NOT the last +1

ipbr21054

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
When i click on the drop down arrow to then show me all the customers in my drop down list the row after the last name is selected each time.
Is it possible so when i click the drop down arrow i see it either at the top or the first entry.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
I think you must have a blank in your list, if you get rid of it (or them) then the dropdown list will start at top.

Upvote 0
Yes i do have a blank BUT without it the contents of the list does not update

Upvote 0
I’m not sure what you mean “the list won’t update”.
Have you created a name for the list? If you go to name manager and create a name for your list but just include the names, no blanks. Then the pull down menu will just be =listname

Upvote 0
I will check & advise tomorrow.
The drop down is on one sheet & the names that would appear in the list are on another sheet.
If I put = blah blah blah the list of names appeared but when I added to the list of names on the main sheet it would only recognise the names within the range I typed and wouldn’t update. Odd I know but that’s what happens.

Upvote 0
Hi,
This is my workings to show what i have done & then you might see a problem etc.

I open my workbook which has several sheets.
On one sheet in column A i have a list of names A33:A233
I select all the names 200 of them & in the name box i type NAMES
I then go to the page where i require the drop down list to be applied.
I select the cell in this case D22 & then Data,data Validation from the ribbon.
Under the settings tab i select List & then in the Source field i press F3 & then select NAMES.
Clicking on the drop down arrow i now see all the 200 names from the other worksheet of which are in A33:A233

This is where it goes wrong.

On the sheet where the 200 names are i add a new row.
The 200 names all move down one row so now A34:A234 & i type the data into cell A33

When i go to the drop down list i only see the data that was originally there A33:A233 but in its new location being A34:A234 thus not updating & showing me all the dat of which should be A33:A234

Do you see what is happening & what i did wrong ?

Thanks
Basically no matter what i type i only ever see the 200 names but in a new location each time.

Upvote 0
Sorry ipbr21054 I didn't realize you posted a reply.

so once you add a row you need to go in to namemanager and redefine "Names" to be A33:A234 but you only need to do this if you are adding a row above. If you add a row in the middle the "Names" update automatically to A33:A234.
The easiest way might be to add a title row say "Client" in A33 so you would only add starting row 34 then "Names" will get updated each time you add a row.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back