Select ranges from column headers

Vivelake

I have previously written a macro to help me with a spreadsheet that I get for work every week. Some columns need to be hidden, others need conditional formatting. Unfortunately the spreadsheet I get isn't alway exactly the same. The columns that need editing aren't always in the same place, sometimes columns get added and sometimes columns get deleted. I want to edit my macros so they find the header and then select the whole column. I'm not too bothered about new column, I can just hide them manually if need be but I need the Marco to still work even if it can't find a certain header because that column has been deleted that week.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
VBA Code:
Sub Hide_MyColumns()
     my_hidden_headers = Array("name 1", "name 5", "name 7", "name8")     'array with all the headernames, that need to be hidden

Set c = Sheets("blad1").Rows(4)                            'in this row are your headers
     For Each My_Header In my_hidden_headers                    'loop through all wanted hidden headers
          r = Application.Match(My_Header, c, 0)                'check if it excists !!!
          If IsNumeric(r) Then c.Cells(1, r).EntireColumn.Hidden = True     'found = hide
     Next

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you that works for hiding the columns. I have several macros that use conditional formatting to highlight certain cells. I attached one below. Would you also have a solution so it will still pick that up even if the columns have changed? Column "I" has the header "Predisposed Location" and column "Z" has the header "Due Date", but as it is in the moment as soon as some columns change this macro doesn't work anymore.
Sub Predisposed_20220222()
'
' Predisposed Macro
'
Range("I:I,Z:Z").Select
Range("Z1").Activate
Selection.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="=$I1=""Y"""
Selection.FormatConditions(Selection.FormatConditions.Count).SetFirstPriority
With Selection.FormatConditions(1).Interior
.PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
.Color = 5296274
.TintAndShade = 0
End With
Selection.FormatConditions(1).StopIfTrue = False
End Sub

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub Hide_MyColumns()
     Dim rPL, rDD

Set c = Sheets("blad1").Rows(4)                            'in this row are your headers

my_hidden_headers = Array("name 1", "name 5", "name 7", "name8")     'array with all the headernames, that need to be hidden
     For Each My_Header In my_hidden_headers                    'loop through all wanted hidden headers
          If IsNumeric(r) Then c.Cells(1, r).EntireColumn.Hidden = True     'found = hide
     Next

my_cf_headers = Array("Predisposed Location", "Due Date")  'array with all the headernames for CF
     i = 0
     For Each My_Header In my_cf_headers                        'loop through all wanted hidden headers
          i = i + 1                                             'pointer to know who is who
          If IsNumeric(r) Then
               If i = 1 Then rPL = r Else rDD = r               'the 1st is Predis... and the 2nd match is Due Date
          End If
     Next

If IsNumeric(rPL) And IsNumeric(rDD) Then                  'both columns found
          Application.Goto Cells(1, rPL)                        'goto column predisposed
          With Union(Columns(rPL), Columns(rDD))                'these 2 columns
               .Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
               .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="=" & Cells(1, rPL).Address(0, 1) & "=""Y"""     'formula
               .FormatConditions(.FormatConditions.Count).SetFirstPriority
               With .FormatConditions(1).Interior               'setup
                    .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
                    .Color = 5296274
                    .TintAndShade = 0
               End With
               .FormatConditions(1).StopIfTrue = False
          End With
     End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back