Selected cells are not those I'm clicking on!

majr

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,

I’m having frequent problems since early December with Cell Selection in Excel (Excel 365, most recent update as of Dec 2022).
Current version is 2212 (Build 15928.20198) and problem persists.

What typically happens is:
A) I click on a cell and a separate cell is highlighted that’s offset a number of cells from my intended cell. The offset might be 1, 2 or more rows (sometimes columns).
B) I double click on a cell on one sheet, jump to the source on a separate sheet then cannot scroll to the active cell. In fact I can't see where the active cell is unless I look at the top left next to the formula bar.

In either instance, navigating away from the sheet where this occurs and back again solves the problem, for a while at least…. It happens regardless of calculation mode.
It’s not a Scroll Lock issue and I’ve not noticed this in any other application. It’s as if Excel is forgetting to update the screen and/or forgetting where my mouse pointer is. It happens as much when using a mouse or a trackpad. It happens on my laptop or external monitor.

Any suggestions much appreciated since I can't see any reference to this problem online.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Welcome to the Board!

Does this happen on just a certain workbook, or all workbooks?
If you open a brand new workbook, does it exhibit this behavior?

If it is only happening in certain workbooks, do these Workbooks contain any VBA code?
VBA code can be written to trigger off the selection of certain cells, which could explain this behavior.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Does this happen on just a certain workbook, or all workbooks?
If you open a brand new workbook, does it exhibit this behavior?

If it is only happening in certain workbooks, do these Workbooks contain any VBA code?
VBA code can be written to trigger off the selection of certain cells, which could explain this behavior.
Hi Joe4 & thanks for the quick response.

Its happening on pretty much all workbooks on completely unrelated projects and I think its sheets in those books that have freeze panes activated where this is happening most. I've created a new file to try and create the problem but its not happened yet. On the workbooks where it is happening there are macros in them but nothing that is running in the background or being chased to run through my actions. It's as if I'm navigating through a workbook too quickly for Excel to keep up and it needs me to pause, swap sheets and then its fine again. Odd that it seems to have started with a Dec-06 2022 update of Excel 365

Upvote 0
Do you have a lot of data and formulas in these workbooks that are experiencing issues?
If so, there could possibly be a delay while it is performing the calculations.

Is there ANY VBA code in with the "ThisWorkbook" module or any of the "Sheet" modules?
If you disable VBA/Macros and open the workbook, do you still experience these issues?

Upvote 0
Do you have a lot of data and formulas in these workbooks that are experiencing issues?
If so, there could possibly be a delay while it is performing the calculations.

Is there ANY VBA code in with the "ThisWorkbook" module or any of the "Sheet" modules?
If you disable VBA/Macros and open the workbook, do you still experience these issues?
There are a lot of formulae in the workbooks where it's occurring. VBA: there is none in the worksheet only on the modules. Disabling VBA hasn't stopped it happening.
There is grouping on most of the worksheet and I've noticed that the offset is happening when I scroll with the mouse or trackpad. The offset between the cell I click and the cell that actually gets highlighted is related to how far I've just scrolled and the number of grouped rows over which I'Ve just scrolled prior to clicking on a cell. Bizarre and I wish I could repeat the error. It seems so random but frequent and only since early Dec last year.

Upvote 0
If you temporarily changed the Calculation mode of your workbook to Manual, does that make any difference?

Upvote 0
This just started happening to me, but it may have also happened before, and somehow disappeared.
What corrected it this time, so far, was to <Restore Down> then <Maximize>.
<Restore down> sits between <minimize> and <maximize>. I am using Excel 365.

Upvote 0
I am quite desperate to find a solution to this. I've tried dozens of things to attempt to find a variable which causes the bug, but nothing apparent thus far. What I cannot understand is how this is allowed to continue, is there no regulator for I.T. software provision? This is a paid-for product, one of the key functionalities of Office, and the effects and implications of the bug cover lost productivity, lost personal time, corrupted reports for internal and external clients etc. etc. It is utterly disgusting that this hasn't been resolved by Microsoft.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back