Selecting a dynamic range

nickos

Hi,

I want to create a loop that processes a number of non contiguous ranges. Here's the catch: each range has a different number of rows, so I want to select from the first row to the last row for each range.

Does anyone know code to achieve this action?

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Can you provide some more details about what you are trying to do exactly. What ranges, what do you want to do with them, generally it's not necessary to select ranges in order to work with them.

Upvote 0
Good call, HotPepper!

Yes, I only just realised this fact.

Imagine this scenario:

xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Imagine for a second that these are non-contiguous ranges. I wanted to create a For each ..next loop that would check through each of these and perform some further tests.

As you can see, the number of rows in each range is always different, so I don't know how to manipulate them. The number of rows and ranges differ from one worksheet to the next.

I want to be able to loop through them by checking whether some aspect of that range satisfies a particular condition. If it does, I want to test if further. If it doesn't, then move to the next range and check again.

I want to do this until I have tested all these ranges on the worksheet.

Does this make sense?

Nickos.

Upvote 0
Here's a very simple example checking varaible rows in columns A:

<font face=Tahoma><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> foo()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> Range([A1], Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> c = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> c.Offset(, 1) = "YES"
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> c
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

HTH,

Smitty

Upvote 0
Thanks pennysaver.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I am still quite new at VBA and understanding what each line of code means.

Why do we test if the range c = 1? what's it's significance?

Thanks again,

Nickos.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back