Selecting a range using name box

MWSC18

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
So I'm using the Name Box and Defined Named Ranges as an index to jump around to different areas on my worksheet. I have noticed that some of the ranges, when selected via the name box, will put the top left cell of the range at the top left position on the screen (like cell A1 is on a new worksheet). However, other named ranges when selected, will not place the top left cell of the range at the top left of the screen and that cell ends up in the middle of the screen or to the right of center. I'm not sure why this is happening for some ranges and not for others. Is there a way I can set a property somewhere to have the cells at top left? I'd like to avoid using VBA for this, as it's just used to jump around the sheet to different areas without dragging the scroll bars and such.

Any insight would be appreciated - thank you!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hello MWSC18

I am not sure there are any settings for a named range that you can change to make this happen. I am afraid VBA is the only way that I know of that will help in doing this. Maybe we will wait for someone wonderful Exceler who will teach us something new.

Sorry for the not so good news for now!

But if you do want some VBA code, then look into the Window Scroll and the selection change event so that the code will fire when a cell is selected.

Upvote 0
Hi Wassim,

Thanks for replying. For now, I will just use the selection change vba code to position the selection as you suggested. I was trying to keep the code as lean as possible for this file, but I need the ranges to display correctly so I'll have to add it in.

It just seems strange that some of the ranges are placed at top left and others are not. I don't see a correlation between which ones do and which don't either... Seems completely random.

Gonna see if that wonderful Exceler comes along... :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back