Selecting a value in a row of cells that is greater than zero

Damian76

I am trying to figure out how to enter a formula into a cell, that will look at a row of cells and select the value in a specific cell. Example:

FORUMLA CELL (N) O P Q R S T U
=(?) 0 0 0 Monday 0 0 0

So I want the formula in cell to look at the row of cells (O to U) and select cell R (Monday) since that is the only cell in that row that has a value greater than zero.

So cell N....will show "Monday"....because it is the only cell with a value greater than zero in that row of cells (O to U).

Thanks for the help!

D

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
The post didn't keep the cell alignments..... Here is how the rows and cells would line up:

N O P Q R S T U
= 0 0 0 m 0 0 0

m=Monday or the value greater than zero in row O1 through U1.

I want Cell N to show Monday after it looks at O1 through U1 and find that Monday in cell R1 is the only value greater than zero.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Like this?

Book1
NOPQRSTU
1Monday000Monday000
Not Zero
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
N1=LOOKUP(2,1/(O1:U1<>0),O1:U1)

Might you ever have more than one non-zero value in the row? If so, what do you want returned? (eg All, first, last?)

Note: My signature block below has a link with suggestions for showing screen shots like I have here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Only one of the cells will have a value greater than 0 at a given time. That formula works, but if all the cells are zero, it gives the #N/A error. I could add a conditional formatting option to make the sell not show anything if there is an error, etc....

Upvote 0
.. if all the cells are zero, it gives the #N/A error. I could add a conditional formatting option to make the sell not show anything if there is an error, etc....
.. or you could just change the formula to this:

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(O1:U1<>0),O1:U1),"")

Upvote 0
That worked great....and is an easy way to get rid of the #N/A error!

One more question.....I am using the CONCATENATE function to look up the value of a cell based on two cells concatenated together...

Example
Cell 1 480 Cell 2 10 Concatenated cell is then 48010.....the lookup is for the 48010 and then the next column is the cell that I want the output.....it is working great.

BUT....my question....I am going to use THREE Concatenated cells like this:

Cell 1 (480) Cell 2 (4) Cell 3 (18.8).......this will then be 480418.8 Concatenated....and will yield say MONDAY as the output value in the next column that I want. The Cells 2 and 3 could be reversed of which I would still want MONDAY as the output...

Cell 1 (480) Cell 2 (18.8) Cell 3 (4).....this will then be 48018.84 Concatenated....and would still yield MONDAY as the output value in the next column.

So the big question, can the LOOKUP function...which would be VOOKUP(1&2&3), Table, Argument, Column.....be fashioned so the 2&3 part of the lookup could be either or to get the same output, or do I just need to add additional vertical columns to have each of the Concatenated cells exactly?

Upvote 0
That worked great....
Good news! :)

I'm not certain that I have understood your new question, but I think this is what you are getting at. In pseudo-formula form it would be like:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(1&2&3,Table,Column,T/F),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(1&3&2,Table,Column,T/F),""))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hycrow

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back