Selecting non-Macro enabled files

mharchitect

When selecting xlsx files, the VBA project viewer is automatically launched. Can we prevent this knowing that I have one xlsm file in the same folder?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
How are you selecting the .xlsx files? By project viewer, it assumed you mean the vb editor window. I am unfamiliar with any process that automatically opens that window when selecting a file, execpt that a workbook would have a Workbook_Open macro that runs and calls the editor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Select the xlsx files in the windows explorer (Win10). The VBA window (view code) is automatically opened.

Upvote 0
Select the xlsx files in the windows explorer (Win10). The VBA window (view code) is automatically opened.
I assume you are then selecting the files manually.
I cannot get the same result. Do you get the vb editor screen when you just select the file, or is it when you open the file? If it is when you select the file, I have no idea what would cause the editor to open. But if it is when you open the selected file that you get the screen displayed then it could be that the file contains a Workbook_Open macro that is causing the condition. To check that, select and open a file and when the editor screen appears, double click on 'ThisWorkbook' in the small 'Project' pane at upper left of the editor screen. That should display any code that is in the ThisWorkbook code module and you can then copy and paste that in this thread so that we can see it and advise you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, to be sure we are talking the same subject, I am referring to the code editor screen that appears when you press Alt + F11 from the Excel screen. If you are not referring to that screen as the 'View Code' screen, then we need to get that worked out soe we are talking the same object.

Upvote 0
Yes when only selecting the file (xlsx) from the explorer (without opening), the VBA editor is opened (the same if you press Alt + F11). An xlsm file is already open before (if no xlsm file is open, the VBA editor is not popping up when selecting an xlsx file).
I tried this on 2 different PCs, the same behavior is showing.

Upvote 0
Then you have some code in the already open file that is activating the vb editor screen. They don't just pop up on their own when a file is selected from the File Exporer page. You need to get someone locally who has some coding experience to help you look for the problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back