Selective protection on a worksheet

2davidc8

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
How can I protect only certain formulas and conditional formatting in a worksheet while still allowing the cells to remain open for data input?
Review/Protect Sheet... or Home/Format/Protect Sheet... seem to be all-or-nothing.
Also, how can I make the protection apply only to certain cells but not to others? The Excel help info indicates that I can select a range for protection but I can't make it work. The whole procedure seems to be about protecting the entire sheet, not protecting a range or individual cells.
Appreciate your help!

Yes, that would be a partial solution. But the thing is, on an unprotected spreadsheet, you can click Data/Filter and all column headers become dropdowns, allowing you to do all kinds of filtering to your heart's content. But now I would have to come up with a few filters that I think the users might want and leave it at that.

It would be ideal to be able to protect any element of a spreadsheet (a table here, a formula there, a grand total cell, any conditional formatting rule, etc.) while leaving the rest of the worksheet open for data input. One could only dream ...
Or maybe resort to VBA?

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
If you right click within the table\range to be filtered, the apply filter is not grayed out in the cell context menu.
You will still have to allow autofilter when protecting the sheet.

edit:
The clear filter menu is still grayed out in the cell context menu. If this is an issue, you should be able to use vba to add a custom entry to the cell context menu to apply\clear the filtering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Jaafar,

That works! That restores the full Filter functionality! Thank you!
The solution to my question was actually a combination of Joe4's and your added comment just now. Unfortunately, the forum software allows me to mark only one reply as solution.
I hereby express my gratitude for your contribution!

David

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Glad we were able to help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back