Self editing formula system, is it possible and how?

GingerBeardo

Is it possible to create an excel formula to edit another formula to reflect the changes in a range? All without using VBA or at least working in the confines of google sheets? More specifically I want to check a range for new text and when it finds it add it to an existing formula or remove it when something is deleted.

Here is an example of the formula I want to edit using this proposed formula.

Code:
=IF(AND(R8=AA5),AB5,IF(AND(R8=AA6),AB6,IF(AND(R8=AA7),AB7,IF(AND(R8=AA8),AB8,IF(AND(R8=AA9),AB9,"")))))

So if there is a new entry made at AA10 a new "IF(AND(R8=AA10),AB10" will be added to this automatically or deleted should an entry be removed.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
I think you should use a different formula. Try this formula
=IFERROR(INDEX(AB5:AB100,MATCH(R8,AA5:AA100,0)),"")

Hope this helps

M.

Upvote 0
Two questions, first, how do I apply this cell by cell to an entire column, hopefully not one by one? Copy an paste up dates but everything shifts a number.
Second, out of curiosity, do you think what I proposed originally is possible?

Upvote 0
First
The formula I've suggested above should do (i think) what you need - that is, when the value in R8 changes it returns the value in AB5:AB100 that corresponds the value in AA5:AA100 that is equal to R8
If the formula doesn't help, could you explain what exactly are you trying to do? A small data sample along with expected results would be helpful.

Second
It's not possible without VBA. Even using VBA i wouldn't recommend a solution that changes a formula according with data entry.

M.

Upvote 0
You are correct, the formula does do what I want, the issue is it is only checking R8 against AA. I need to apply this to the entire R column by cell. So starting at Row 3 (R3) each cell would need to be checked against AA and so on, this way their independent.

Upvote 0
You are correct, the formula does do what I want, the issue is it is only checking R8 against AA. I need to apply this to the entire R column by cell. So starting at Row 3 (R3) each cell would need to be checked against AA and so on, this way their independent.

Try this formula in a cell in row 3, say S3, and copy (drag) down
=IFERROR(INDEX(AB$5:AB$100,MATCH(R3,AA$5:AA$100,0)),"")

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back