MrExcel

Sending Effective Bug Reports to the Excel Team

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
MrExcel submitted a new Excel article:

Sending Effective Bug Reports to the Excel Team - The four steps to make sure someone on the Excel team reads your feedback

I recently had a conversation with several members of the Excel team about how they process submissions that are sent in through the Feedback icon that appeared on the Help tab in Excel. There is a specific set of steps you can use that will make sure a human reads your bug report.

View attachment 1124

1. After clicking Feedback, always choose "I Don't Like Something". This was formerly known as "Send a Frown". People read reports sent in as a frown. On a busy day, no one has...

Read more about this Excel article...

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
I believe those instructions apply to Excel 365 and later.

Is there a way for users of Excel 2010 to effectively accomplish the same thing?

I have not found any equivalent feature in Excel 2010. Of course, I might have overlooked it.

Usually, "feedback" features ultimately result in sending email or interacting through a website under the table. Perhaps someone could provide the details.

IMHO, the excel.uservoice.com forums are inadequate for this purpose.

Hello Joeu2004. There was not a similar program in Excel 2010. If you send me a private message, I can pass your ideas along to the product testers.

Thanks. I was more interested in a general procedure that I could pass along to other people.

In another forum, I was informed that some of the critical information in your article is obsolete, sad to say.

The article states: ``If you want your report to be read and acted upon, you must choose all three checkboxes: Attach My Logs to Help Troubleshoot, Include Screenshot, and You Can Contact Me About This Feedback``.

Apparently, "Attach My Logs" is no longer an option. I will try to incorporate the screenshot below.

(Not sure what those logs are, anyway.)

Is there something else that users can do to ensure that their feedback is ``read and acted upon``? Or is the screenshot and email address sufficient?

excel feedback screenshot.jpg

In another forum, I was informed that some of the critical information in your article is obsolete, sad to say.

The article states: ``If you want your report to be read and acted upon, you must choose all three checkboxes: Attach My Logs to Help Troubleshoot, Include Screenshot, and You Can Contact Me About This Feedback``.

Apparently, "Attach My Logs" is no longer an option. I will try to incorporate the screenshot below.
Not obsolete for me (Excel 365).

1583557644649.png

Recently changed for me (also 365). I don't like something/Send a frown when I click it now gives me...

1583558614510.png

Version is

1583558743449.png

Recently changed for me (also 365). I don't like something/Send a frown when I click it now gives me...
Sounds like it is a bit of a "moving feast" then. For me ..

1583562591973.png

Be interesting to see what happens with my next update as because you are on the Targeted you are probably an update ahead of my normal monthly channel (build number would seem to support this.
It might just be an issue with the last update I received.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back