Separating a column from the main table into a new table

Chexpeare

Board Regular
I'm seeking advice on two phases:

1. Setup a simple logon screen allowing users to log in with a UserName and Password.

2. My backend has a main table with several other tables in relationship. I now need to create a brand new table from the "Comments" column in the main table. The goal is to link each unique Record ID in the main table to several sub-records containing multiple comments. Each comment, of course, would have the associated UserName (from #1 above) who logged in and entered the comment.

What would be the most efficient way of approaching both items above? At the moment, each unique record has only one, unique comment. So I thought of simply exporting those records, filtering out for the comments and reimport as a new table and then set up the relationships. As for the logon...I'm clueless at the moment. It's the first time I do this.

Any fingers pointing towards the moon would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I have completed #1 and setup a nice security system for both the FE and BE. It turned out to be a very intricate, yet conceptually simple, development. However, I still need advice on #2 below. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm seeking advice on two phases:

1. Setup a simple logon screen allowing users to log in with a UserName and Password.

2. My backend has a main table with several other tables in relationship. I now need to create a brand new table from the "Comments" column in the main table. The goal is to link each unique Record ID in the main table to several sub-records containing multiple comments. Each comment, of course, would have the associated UserName (from #1 above) who logged in and entered the comment.

What would be the most efficient way of approaching both items above? At the moment, each unique record has only one, unique comment. So I thought of simply exporting those records, filtering out for the comments and reimport as a new table and then set up the relationships. As for the logon...I'm clueless at the moment. It's the first time I do this.

Any fingers pointing towards the moon would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0
You could do as you propose, though I would probably just create a query to filter out what you want, and then change the query to a Make Table Query aand create the new table that way.

Upvote 0
You could do as you propose, though I would probably just create a query to filter out what you want, and then change the query to a Make Table Query aand create the new table that way.

I also squared out the table issue on my side, but I guess what I'm really trying to do is create a log of all the current users, who also need to be identified and recorded by the system. Right now I have all the comments in a separate table: [Client_ID], [Date_Time], [Comment].

WHAT I NEED TO DO
The next phase involves the creation of a table (or log) to record each incident of a user login. Once the user opens a record through the FE and clicks on the "Comment" button, a form opens up and he can scroll through the comments. The associated client should display all the comments reflecting his status over time: one comment, one unique Now(), and associated Client_ID.

THE PROBLEM
The main table is set up as one unique [Client_ID] and only one unique [Comment]. I need to now convert the DB to reflect a one-to-many relationship.

What approach would you recommend?

Many thanks!!

Upvote 0
Not sure I follow what you are saying, but if the problem is getting a unique primary key, why not just add an AutoNumber field to use as your primary key? Though, I think if you add date/time field to the table, you could use that in a multi-field primary key instead.

Upvote 0
Not sure I follow what you are saying, but if the problem is getting a unique primary key, why not just add an AutoNumber field to use as your primary key? Though, I think if you add date/time field to the table, you could use that in a multi-field primary key instead.

Thank you, but everything you are suggesting is already in place. Perhaps if I ask the following question, I may be able to help you help me.

How do I set up and update a user log to record User_ID, User_Name, Login_Date?

Thanks

Upvote 0
So, it sounds to me like you are saying you want to capture the login information they are using when they are logging in to the Access database? I am afraid I have really never done anything like that. I really don't use security features that much.

The closest I have come is I am using some VBA I found on the internet that indicates all the computer IDs that are currently logged into an Access database. But I don't think that will help you much.

However, a Google search of the internet returns some promising links. Here is one:
http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=74

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahSomethingExcel100

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back