Separating Added Numbers from Multiple Tabs

littlefish

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a 50-worksheet workbook from a client that includes specific data within a single cell on each worksheet that I would like to extract.

Cell B10 contains three numbers which are added together (ex. "=895+1023+9974".)

On a new worksheet, I would like to show three columns by fifty rows of the individual numbers in B10 from the original worksheets:

895 1023 9974

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Little Fish

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Hey,

This will require a mixture of VBA and Excel but I think this is what you're after:::

Step 1: Create a "MasterSheet" tab and put it at the END (far right tab) of the workbook.
Step 2: Add this VBA code to a new module:
Code:
Sub TabNames()
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim numSheets As Integer
    Sheets("Mastersheet").Activate
    numSheets = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Count
    For i = 1 To numSheets - 1
        Cells(i, 1).Value = Sheets(i).Name
    Next i
End Sub

Step 3: Run the code - you should see the tab names listed from A1:A50

Step 4: In cell B1 enter this formula and drag it down B,C & D columns for all 50 tabs:
=SUBSTITUTE(MID(SUBSTITUTE(FORMULATEXT(INDIRECT($A1&"!$B$10")),"+",REPT("+",LEN(FORMULATEXT(INDIRECT($A1&"!$B$10"))))),(COLUMN()-2)*LEN(FORMULATEXT(INDIRECT($A1&"!$B$10")))+1,LEN(FORMULATEXT(INDIRECT($A1&"!$B$10")))),"+","")

Step 5: Clean the B column as it will contain an equals sign, you can do this multiple ways, probably the easiest way is to enter in column E as
E1: =SUBSTITUTE(B1,"=","")
then drag down to E50, copy and hard paste in to the B column.

EDIT: Changed B1 formula as didn't update INDIRECT for all cases!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Another update: Just enter in B1 this formula and you won't need to worry about the equals sign;
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(MID(SUBSTITUTE(FORMULATEXT(INDIRECT($A1&"!$B$10")),"+",REPT("+",LEN(FORMULATEXT(INDIRECT($A1&"!$B$10"))))),(COLUMN()-2)*LEN(FORMULATEXT(INDIRECT($A1&"!$B$10")))+1,LEN(FORMULATEXT(INDIRECT($A1&"!$B$10")))),"+",""),"=","")

Upvote 0
Perfect!

I implemented Step 5 to your formula, and then inserted the VALUE formula. This way the results will remain in columns B, C, & D.

Thanks again. Have a great day!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback! I always seem to send a post and then afterwards I am always finding tweaks that I could/should have made such as my 2nd post update! Even so like you mention, I could have nested my 2nd post in a VALUE function to finalise the solution, but at least we got the job done! :) have a great day too.

Upvote 0
with PowerQuery

Column1Column2Column2.1Column2.2Column2.3
11892​
=895+1023+9974
895​
1023​
9974​

Column2: =FORMULATEXT(A2) //adjust reference suitably
then
Code:
[SIZE=1]// Table5
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table5"]}[Content],
    Replace = Table.ReplaceValue(Source,"=","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column2"}),
    SplitPlus = Table.SplitColumn(Replace, "Column2", Splitter.SplitTextByAnyDelimiter({"+"}, QuoteStyle.Csv)),
    Type = Table.TransformColumnTypes(SplitPlus,{{"Column2.1", Int64.Type}, {"Column2.2", Int64.Type}, {"Column2.3", Int64.Type}}),
    RC = Table.RemoveColumns(Type,{"Column1"})
in
    RC[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for this option. I've never used PowerQuery, but it looks interesting. I'll check it out when I have some free time.

Upvote 0
sure,

you can do that without FORMULATEXT() but replace = to '= in range
the rest is the same as above (almost)

have a nice day

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back