Separating info from one cell into 2 different cells

Janecat2

Whenever I get information from finance.yahoo.com or from my job and put it into excel all the information seems to go in one cell and numerous rows. (I think its b/c I am putting information that isnt' meant to be in excel and forcing it to open up there.)

For Example in cell A1 I will have
"AIG , AMER INTL GROUP I , 66.08 , 1:16pm , 169.455B , 16.736 , 2.01 , 9.47 , 0.78"

Cell A2 I will have
GOOG , GOOGLE , 508.9 , 1:21pm , 158.845B , 22.361 , 17.511 , 26.29 , 1

What I want to see is cell A1 as AIG and cell B1 as 66.08 and cell A2 - GOOG and cell B2 508.9. I don't even want the rest of the stuff.

Is there any way or formula I can use to just pull the information out of cell and have it separated for me?

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi,

Try using Data...Text To Columns with the comma as the delimiter.

Dom

Upvote 0
Select the column and then use /Data/Text to Columns based on a delimiter of "," . This will get your data into columns and then you can delete he columns you don't want.

Upvote 0
If you highlight the column, and use Text to Columns (found under the Data menu), you can parse the data into multiple columns by selecting the Delimited Option, selecting a comma as your Delimiter, and clicking Finish.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

If you're trying to keep track of stock quotes, Excel has a tool that'll do it for you: goto Data-->Import External Data-->Import Data-->Select "MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quotes" and follow the wizard. You can track as many stocks as you want.

You'll get something like this:
Book2
BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
1Stock Quotes Provided by MSN Money
2Click here to visit MSN Money
3LastPrevious CloseHighLowVolumeChange% Change52 Wk High52 Wk LowMarket CapEPSP/E Ratio# Shares Out
4AIG-AMERIC.INT.GRPChartNews66.267.0566.965.91########-0.85-1.27%72.9760########6.1211########
5Google IncChartNews509.7513.26514.98508.67########-3.56-0.69%558.58375########11.7743.6########
Sheet2

(I had to tweak it a bit to get it to fit the page)...

You can then link just the information that you want on another sheet.

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back