Separating Numerator and Denominator of a Fraction formatted Cell into two Separate Cells

FRED_SHEET

I have a cell (A1) with a decimal value of 0.34375 in an adjacent cell (B1) which is equal to (A1) but is formatted as a fraction function with two digits to give a fraction of 11/32. Is there any way I can convert the fraction into two different cells (C1) and (D1) one for the numerator (C1) and the other for the denominator (D1)? In other words I want C1 to display 11 and D1 to display 32.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Try this for the numerator...

=0+LEFT(TEXT(A1,"00/00"),2)

and this one for the denominator...

=0+RIGHT(TEXT(A2,"00/00"),2)

Note that these formula are independent of the formula you have in Column B (if you remove that formula, the above formulas will still work).

Upvote 0
I tried this and it worked OK for the numerator but I had to change the formula for the denominator - I replaced A2 with A1 and it worked OK.

Now I just have to study the Excel functions to understand what is happening.

I tried it on several other fraction decimal values in column A and it worked OK. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Try this for the numerator...

=0+LEFT(TEXT(A1,"00/00"),2)

and this one for the denominator...

=0+RIGHT(TEXT(A2,"00/00"),2)

Note that these formula are independent of the formula you have in Column B (if you remove that formula, the above formulas will still work).

Rick thanks for your response.

I am not sure what the 0 at the start of the two expressions above does. Could you please explain it to me? :confused:

Thank you.

Upvote 0
I am not sure what the 0 at the start of the two expressions above does. Could you please explain it to me? :confused:
The RIGHT and LEFT function return a text string (even if it looks like a number, it is not a number, it is text)... when you involve a text string that looks like a number in a mathematical calculation, Excel converts the text number to a real number so that it can complete the calculation... adding 0 to any number does not change the number so adding 0 to a text number simply converts it to its real number equivalent... that is what the 0+ at the start of each of those formulas is doing.

Upvote 0
The RIGHT and LEFT function return a text string (even if it looks like a number, it is not a number, it is text)... when you involve a text string that looks like a number in a mathematical calculation, Excel converts the text number to a real number so that it can complete the calculation... adding 0 to any number does not change the number so adding 0 to a text number simply converts it to its real number equivalent... that is what the 0+ at the start of each of those formulas is doing.

Thank you. I tried to find that on line but wasn't successful. I really appreciated forums like this to get the answers I need. :)

Upvote 0
I was actually trying to do this as well! However, some of the numbers in my list are decimal numbers (ex: 3.5/8.1). When I use the formula proposed, I only get the first and last digits. (in the example, would give me 3 and 0.1 separately). Anything to do about this? Thanks alot!

Upvote 0
Do the numerator and denominator always have a single digit before the decimal point and single digit after it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back