Sequences in Excel - The Nth Term

Futile Crush

Hey guys. I'm new to the Mr Excel message board, I just came out because I had a question that interested me.

Sequences. Those lovely little chains going up by a certain number, like 1, 2, 3, 4 ... or 2, 4, 6, 8 ... or 5, 3, 1, -1 ... they have a common term that dictates the sequence. For example, a simple sequence like 1, 2, 3, 4, is N, or the number. A sequence like 2, 3, 4, 5 is N+1, because, say that N was 1, 1+1 is 2, which is the first number in the sequence, then the 2nd number in the sequence is 2+1, which is 3.

Then, there're sequences like N squared, 1, 4, 9, 16 and so on. 1 squared is 1, 2 squared is 4, 3 squared is 9, 4 squared is 16, etcetera. The difference is calculated by working out the difference between the numbers, then working out the difference between the differences, for example, 1+3=4, 4+5=9, 5-3=2. Then, that 2 is halved and put on the front of N2 (n squared), so it's 1N2, or N2.

Anyway, that's the basic maths behind it, for the people like Excelisfun / Mike who claim to have fallen out of it down to all his Excelling, and here's the question.

Can this be done in Excel?

If I were to set up a simple table with 1, 2, 3, 4 ... up to 10 going along the columns, is there anyway to set up a formula in each of the cells below to specify an Nth term and generate a sequence. For instance, if there was some way to input "N squared" or POWER(*cell*,2), but also have that cell set up so that virtually any Nth term could be inputted from another cell or other sheet and it would generate the sequence. Would I need to use multiple cells with drop-down lists? Should I be using nested IFs or set up another cell where a code number can be put in and the IF will put in a certain Nth term based on values then entered? I dunno, I was hoping somebody could help me with this.

If anyone can offer any insights, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
In fact, never mind :p. I've actually gone and figured it out myself. Dunno how to edit the first post out, so I'll just post here and say you don't need to offer any help :)

Upvote 0
If your not working on anything confidential then it would be nice to see your answer for future reference please.

Upvote 0
If your not working on anything confidential ...

Yeah, I'm working on some top secret mathematical formula for my spy company, they're all about the Nth term :biggrin:.

Yeah, I know why I couldn't do it at first, because I was trying to be be overly clever and do it and one formula and in one cell so I could type in "N2" or "N+1" or "5N" or "N2-7" etcetera. I did a table, with 1 to 10 along the top, and three rows, one for straightforward DMAS Nth terms (division, multiplication, addition and subtraction,) a second for powered Nth terms such as N squared, N cubed, N to the power of 5 and so on, and a third for both, such as N squared minus 1.

I put "N", just for the sake of bureaucracy, then next to it put a box with a spin button for the purposes of ease, that would be the box for Power. Then, on the one below I put N again, and a drop-down list with +, -, * and /. After that I put the number to add, multiply, subtract or divide. In the table with 1 to 10, I put a multiple IF formula that basically says "If it's plus, then add that number to the number on the table, if it's minus ..." etcetera. I can't show you the formula, I haven't got Excel up, but it was simple enough, although a little tedious. Below that, I put both a box for a Power and a box for adding, subtracting etc. something to it. At the end of all these I concatenated the numbers to generate an Nth term that looks something like "7N+2" or "N2". I then put those next to the table along the appropriate rows.

It works :). I just input a couple of numbers and I've got an Nth term.

Sorry if that explanation was a little tedious. Added to the fact that this thread was pretty pointless when I figured out the answer anyway, lol.

Upvote 0
excelscrsht1.png

Here's an annotated screenshot. Hope it's clear enough to make out the formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back