Sequential Invoice...with a twist.

thankyou

Board Regular
Hi. Hope your day is great. Wondering if you could help me with the following: I think it may be easy for you (but very appreciated by me!):

I have maybe 25 invoices in one folder, depending on what item the customer orders, and the invoice # is always in the same cell. What I need is a macro that will accomplish the following (it's kindof like all the other "sequential invoice" threads but with a couple variations). My skill level is neo-natal (I can find the macro window). Anyway, thanks:

Any/every time we PRINT ANY of the 25 invoices, I want that invoice to add, NOT "1", but instead add a RANDOM number that is BETWEEN, say, 10 & 20 to the LAST-PRINTED invoice number in that same folder. //So, for example if customer bought product A and that invoice # was R209360, I want the next customer's invoice (for same product/invoice or any of the others in that folder) to be any RANDOM # between R209370 and R209380.//

Also would like the invoice number to be like the examples above (starting with "R" and followed by 6 digits).

Finally (extra credit only, :eek:), it would be really cool if on-save, if the invoices archive an EXTRA copy to another folder naming that extra copy with the invoice number itself.

THANX very much for your time and thoughtfulness. I wish I could help you too.

Dear R-amazing-man,

Ok, here's my results and feedback, thank you.

For your question, yeah, we tend to prefer having the 25 invoices as separate xls files...maybe because we're beginners, but also because it seems to me that, if what you're saying is that we could create one "sheet" for every invoice (product type), then the prob for us is that we like long/descriptive filenames, and you know excel doesn't allow many chars into those sheet names. Also it would take a while to find the right invoice for the customer and a lot of scrolling right or left. But that's why we currently keep our 25 invoices not in a single file. There may be a better way; we're still learning.

Your help is so awesome so far, my gosh, thanks.

For naming convention, I was thinking of the following to simplify things:

Kindly keep in mind that I didn't do any worksheet renaming cuz I don't quite understand what's being renamed, and you're probably understanding our setup better now (that the 25 excel files are within 1 folder). We could theoretically RENAME those long, descriptive excel filenames to 1, 2, 3, 4....25 if that helps, and call the folder itself "Invoices". This might make things much simpler.

IF your archiving solution can allow this idea, where the renumbering works and the archiving/renaming works with separate .xls files in one folder, that would be ideal. If not, then maybe you can suggest an alternate way we can keep our invoices in a "worksheet" but that allows us those longer more descriptive names we use, then, if we can do it, let's call those 2 worksheets "live_worksheet" and "archived_worksheet".

OK, here's what I get so far when I found & dropped the code into ThisWorksheet (excellent instructions by the way and thanks). (Again I didn't rename the worksheets since I'm kindof confused about how that will go down, and I'll await your response):

After the 3rd popup "Increasing invoice number....", I get "RUNTIME ERROR 438. Object doesn't support this property or method" (End/Debug).

If I choose "DEBUG", it opens the code and highlights the line:

Range("l22").Value = "R" & Range("l22").Value + Application.WorksheetFunction.RandBetween(10, 20)

I'm not sure if it's the "R" part that's the prob or if maybe they want an "L" instead of a lower case "l" for "L22".

As always looking forward to your words and code of wisdom.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
If I choose "DEBUG", it opens the code and highlights the line:

Range("l22").Value = "R" & Range("l22").Value + Application.WorksheetFunction.RandBetween(10, 20)

I'm not sure if it's the "R" part that's the prob or if maybe they want an "L" instead of a lower case "l" for "L22".

l22 is the same as L22, the range function is not case sensetive.

the problem is casued by the "R", I haven't read this entire thread in detail, assuming that L22 starts blank, first run will insert "R" with a random number (10 for simple example) into the cell.

Next run, L22 now holds a text string "R10", if random this time produces 5, you are expecting "R15",

what you are actually (trying) with that line of code is "R" & ("R10" +5), which, if it worked would give you "RR15", but the existing "R10" is a text value not numeric, you can't carry out a math function (in this case addition) on a text entry, so this is the cause of the error.

The cure is to extract the numeric part before increasing the value.

Code:
With Range("L22")
.Value = "R" & Right(.Value, Len(.Value) - 1) + Int((10 * Rnd) + 10)
End With

Upvote 0
Hello,

Jasonb75, Thank You for that, I think it will work.
I am still learning and appreciate your input.

thankyou

Your Very welcome, now lets see if we can really get this to work now.
Are you using Excel 2003?
Try these steps:

Create a Record Log file. Call it Record Log.xls
Replace thisworkbook module with this.

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_beforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)

MsgBox ("This shows that the Print Invoice Program is Running")
Application.EnableEvents = False
Cancel = True
MsgBox ("Printing Invoice")

'''''Prints the active sheet
ActiveSheet.PrintOut

'''''Check if workbook is open
If Not WorkbookOpen("Record Log.xls") Then
    Workbooks.Open ("C:\[COLOR=red]Here change to your full file path[/COLOR]\Record Log.xls")
End If

'''''Copy invoice to logbook and then rename worksheet tab to invoice number
Sheets("Invoice").Copy after:=Workbooks("Record Log.xls"). _
        Sheets(Workbooks("Record Log.xls").Sheets.Count)
        ActiveSheet.Name = Range("l22").Value

MsgBox ("Increasing Invoice number by a random number between 10 & 20")

'Windows("Example of Invoice #1 of 25--all 25 will be in 1 folder.xls").Activate
'''''Increase invoice number by random number between 10, 20
With Range("L22")
End With
'''''Un-comment the below to auto save each open workbook and preserve new inv. num. and records.
'For Each w In Application.Workbooks
'    w.Save
'Next w
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

press alt + f11
open thisworkbook
delete previous
paste new code from above
edit the red above with your full file path
press alt + I ...let go press M
The modules will be below thisworkbook on the "TREE"
paste this into the module
Code:
Function WorkbookOpen(WorkBookName As String) As Boolean
' returns TRUE if the workbook is open
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    WorkbookOpen = False
    On Error GoTo WorkBookNotOpen
    If Len(Application.Workbooks(WorkBookName).Name) > 0 Then
        WorkbookOpen = True
        Exit Function
    End If
WorkBookNotOpen:
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Function

This part above checks to see if a file is open. If not, opens it.
Close the Visual Basic Editor
Try a print and post back your results!

Congrats on the new machine...will check back tonight.

Upvote 0
OK. We're back online. After countless hours (of copying and pasting) ;) computer probs, computer changes, reformatting & the usual drama, computer name changes, folder changes, folder name changes, and more, here's the code that works for Rman and me. It increases the invoice number after printing and archives the invoice under Record log. We're still working on getting the invoices in the folder to "remember" the last # used so that the next invoice that opens starts with that # and not the last # used by that actual spreadsheet.

This part goes under "ThisWorksheet' of each invoice in the folder:

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'''''''''''''''''''''''''

Private Sub workbook_beforeprint(Cancel As Boolean)

MsgBox ("This shows that the Print Invoice Program is Running")
Cancel = True
MsgBox ("Printing Invoice")

ActiveSheet.PrintOut

'''''Check if workbook is open
'Workbooks.Open ("C:\Users\standard account\Documents\Record log.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("C:\PUT YOUR PATH HERE\Record log.xls")
End If

Windows("YOUR INVOICE NAME HERE.xls").Activate

Dim myname As String

myname = Range("PUT THE CELL WITH YOUR INVOICE NO HERE").Value

ActiveSheet.Name = Range("PUT THE CELL WITH YOUR INVOICE NO HERE").Value

Worksheets(myname).Copy after:=Workbooks("Record Log.xls"). _
Worksheets(Workbooks("Record Log.xls").Sheets.Count)

'Windows("Record Log.XLS").Activate
Range("a1:m78").Select
Selection.Copy
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
Range("a1").Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False

Windows("PUT YOUR INVOICE NAME HERE.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.Name = "Invoice"
MsgBox ("Increasing Invoice number by a random number between 10 & 20")

With Range("PUT THE CELL WITH YOUR INVOICE NO HERE")
End With

'''''Un-comment the below to auto save each open workbook, preserve new inv.num. and records.

'For Each w In Application.Workbooks
' w.Save
' Next w

End Sub

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

THEN create a module within your invoices with the following:

Function WorkbookOpen(WorkBookName As String) As Boolean
' returns TRUE if the workbook is open
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
WorkbookOpen = False
On Error GoTo WorkBookNotOpen
If Len(Application.Workbooks(WorkBookName).Name) > 0 Then
WorkbookOpen = True
Exit Function
End If
WorkBookNotOpen:
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Function

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Repairman, thanks for the following contribution. In addition to prev features, it ensures that the last invoice no used is also where the next one begins so that invoice numbers can't go backwards depending on which invoice you just used. You just gotta put your preferred starting invoice no in a1 of record log. Quite nice.

****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CCo-1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> <o:PixelsPerInch>120</o:PixelsPerInch> <o:TargetScreenSize>1280x1024</o:TargetScreenSize> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
<o:p> </o:p>
Private Sub workbook_beforeprint(Cancel As Boolean)

'''''Printer Conformation.
yesno = MsgBox("Proceed Print, Update Records?" & Chr(13) & "Choose no for an option to regular print." & Chr(13) & "Choose Wisely", vbYesNo + vbExclamation, "Important")
Select Case yesno
Case vbYes

'''''Set the Workbook here. This is the one and only modification needed.(Once filepath is established)
Dim myworkbook As Workbook
Set myworkbook = Workbooks("Invoice.xls") '<-----'''Here is where to put your invoice name.

Cancel = True

ActiveSheet.PrintOut

'''''Check if workbook is open.
' Workbooks.Open ("C:\Users\standard account\Documents\Record Log.xls ")"<----Delete this line
Workbooks.Open ("C:\Documents and Settings\(YOUR USER NAME)\Desktop\invoice_folder\Record log.xls")
End If

myworkbook.Activate

Range("l22").Value = Workbooks("Record Log.xls").Sheets("Summary").Range("a1").Value

With Range("L22")
End With

Dim myname As String
myname = Range("L22").Value

ActiveSheet.Name = Range("l22").Value
Worksheets(myname).Copy after:=Workbooks("Record Log.xls"). _
Worksheets(Workbooks("Record Log.xls").Sheets.Count)
Range("a1:m78").Select
Selection.Copy
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False

Workbooks("Record Log.xls").Sheets("Summary").Range("a1").Value = Range("l22").Value
Range("a1").Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False

myworkbook.Activate
ActiveSheet.Name = "Invoice"

Case vbNo
Cancel = True
yesnno = MsgBox("<st1:place w:st="on">Normal</st1:place> print with no copy,invoice number increase etc.?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Regular Print?")
Select Case yesnno
Case vbYes
Cancel = True
ActiveSheet.PrintOut
Case vbNo
End Select
End Select
'''''Un-comment the below to auto save each open workbook, preserve new inv. num. and records.
For Each w In Application.Workbooks
w.Save
Next w

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back