sequential lookup??

ajm

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
hi folks, i am working on a course selection workbook and have run into an issue. I have listed the course's core subjects at the top of the tab and these are marked off ( a 1 is placed next to the subject name) when the student completes each subject. in one term, they get to choose four electives from 6 choices. In the Core Subjects table, the four electives are listed as Elective 1, 2, 3, & 4, not by subject name. The six choices are in a separate box below the core subjects. when these electives are completed, a mark (a 1) will be placed next to the particular subject. Once a student has completed their first elective, how do i get the mark the mark (a 1) to appear in the Core Subjects table next to Elective 1, and then also for their second, third, and fourth choices?
1616027291789.png

So if a student completed Elective B, we would place a 1 adjacent to B in the Electives table. How do i get this to show up adjacent to Elective 1 in the Core Subjects table above? I was thinking of a sequential lookup but that requires the lookup value to be common to both tables.

I wasn't thinking about it at all. Was just purely asking to get clear picture. ☺️ .. Wasn't @petertenthije working?
yes. peter's solution works for what i asked for originally. given the suggestion you made about relating the course to the elective chosen by inputting the elective name, i can see another place in my spreadsheet where i can use something like that. I thought that you might already have a method of doing that.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
yes. peter's solution works for what i asked for originally. given the suggestion you made about relating the course to the elective chosen by inputting the elective name, i can see another place in my spreadsheet where i can use something like that. I thought that you might already have a method of doing that.
No I don't

Upvote 0
Here is one more idea if you are willing to introduce a blank cell in B4, perhaps by adding an Electives section heading:
MrExcel_20210317.xlsx
AB
1CORE courses
2Cool Subject1
3Another Cool Subject1
4ELECTIVES
5Elective 11
6Elective 21
7Elective 30
8Elective 40
9Not as Cool Subject
10Ordinary Subject
11Elective Level 2
13Electives
14A
15B
16C1
17D
18E1
19F
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B5:B8B5=--(SUM(B$4:B4)<>SUM($B$14:$B$19))

Upvote 0
Thanks Zot. KRice: i'll have a look at it this morning. Thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back