Serial Number

charlie_3dc

Hi there,

I want to track an individual across a number of years. I have their name eg: Smith, John and I want to track this across different years databases and find how this person's qualifications changed across years. I was thinking of assigning a serial number to an individual but need that serial number to remain consistent across years and only become unique when a new person is entered?

Can anyone help?

For example:
2013 - Cahill, Tim - 000001
2013 - Jedinak, Mile - 000002

2014 - Cahill, Tim - 000001
2014 - Jedinak, Mile - 000002
2014 - Kruse, Robbie - 000003 (assign new serial as new person)

2015 - Jedinak, Mile - 000002 (do not start again at 000001 when that person is no longer)
2015 - Kruse, Robbie - 000003
2015 - Ryan, Matt - 000004

Thanks,

Charlie

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Does it all need to be 1 column? You won't be entering the year and name AND the identifier in the same column while Excel generates or looks up your identifier. How about this, use headers for row 1 with year in A1, name in B1, ID in C1, and Joined in D1.

Start your data in A2 & B2. In C2, enter =IF(COUNTIF(B$1:B1,B2)=0,IFERROR(MAX(C$1:C1)+1,1),VLOOKUP(B2,B$1:C1,2,0))
Then, in D2, enter =A2&" - "&B2&" - "&TEXT(C2,"000000")

Upvote 0
Does it all need to be 1 column? You won't be entering the year and name AND the identifier in the same column while Excel generates or looks up your identifier. How about this, use headers for row 1 with year in A1, name in B1, ID in C1, and Joined in D1.

Start your data in A2 & B2. In C2, enter =IF(COUNTIF(B$1:B1,B2)=0,IFERROR(MAX(C$1:C1)+1,1),VLOOKUP(B2,B$1:C1,2,0))
Then, in D2, enter =A2&" - "&B2&" - "&TEXT(C2,"000000")

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work.

My problem is very complex. Think I may have to purchase a database system to get what I require.

But thank you for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back