Setting the start cell

Dave the novice

Sorry if this is a basic question, but I have a simple spread sheet that is used to record absences from work. Annual leave is simply marked with an "a" or "a0.5" for a half day in the appropriate box next to the date and below the persons name. Sickness leave is marked with an "s".

Staff names are listed across the top of the page, with the date down the side, below the names is a summary that gives various information including the total amount of leave taken.

What I've been asked is if the sheet can be modified to show who is away on the day it is opened, without having to scroll down.

Can excel be tweaked to open at the row for "today"?
Can it be set to send an email each day listing who is absent?
Would it be better to use one of the form functions and let people type the date in and then some code would search for "absentees"?

Again, forgive me if I've not explained this very well, but I'm quite a novice at anything other than basic functions.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
What a quick response, cheers for that.

I'm struggling a little as the code seems designed to make the cell below the date active. All I want is to view the row for "today".

Part of my problem is that my sheet is the other way around to the one in the example (the other part of my problem is I'm a bit dim!!)

I have dates in AA38:AA487, with some blanks in between each month.

When I substitute C1:M1 with AA38:AA487, the active cell becomes $AJ$2.

I've tried tweaking the column and row numbers, but it just ends up as an absolute reference to a square each time rather than going to "today".

Any tweaks to the code would be much appreciated.

PS, sorry if I'm showing my ignorance, your help is much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lorie1693

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back