Settings Textbox in MSWord

L

Legacy 5596

I know, I know -- this is an Excel board, but many things on Excel & MSWord are the same.

I have several Formfield text boxes on a form I created. For this example say I have 3 Textboxs, named:

Text1
Text2
Text3

in the properties of the respective textboxes.

My question:
Say I wanted to make Text3 automatically populate with whatever text someone has typed in Textbox1 -- Can this be done WITHOUT a VB Macro, since many people don't trust running a MsWord doc with a macro.

I would think this is possible since the Text1 properties can be set for a default. Thanks

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Roderick

Yes Excel and Word have various similarities but I'm afraid FormFields isn't one of them.

As far as I can see you can only use hardcoded text for the default.

Why would you want to repeat the value of one textbox in another anyway?

Upvote 0
Field Codes?

I think the answer lies in setting the "feild code", using TOOLS > OPTIONS > VIEW

Upvote 0
Repeating

This is a form where its asks for the Name about 4 times, I wanted it to just repeat the name from the first entry (it ask 4 times because the various sheets go to different depts)

Upvote 0
Roderick

That option won't work as far as I can see.

When I turn it on I don't even see the hardcoded default value, never mind where I would put something to base the default on another textbox.

Upvote 0
Field Codes

Go to MSWord help & search Field Codes, I see you can customize them in many ways, there must be a way to have one field repeat another. -- btw, thank for your help

Upvote 0
Roderick

I know there are many ways to use field codes, I've used them extensively in the past but as far as I know there is no way to set the default to another textbox.

Upvote 0
You can use a formula field.

Insert\Field, select Formula from the list, then click the "formula" button.

In the dialog that comes up, delete the "=" sign in the box. Enter the name of the field you want to copy instead (alternately, there should be a dropdown on the bottom right labeled "Paste Bookmark." That should hold the names of every textbox you have. You can select the name from there as well).

When you update the linked field, it will display the same text--the only major catch to this is that you have to update the field(s) manually. I don't know a way to get it to automatically update/refresh the fields except for getting into macros :confused:

Also, if the linked field is blank when you update the field, it will display a 0.

Upvote 0
Ahh yes

I was just looking at that, the Insert/Field (I thought it was the answer, but as you say it doesn't seem to update automatically) :( -- thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back