A Guy Named Robby

In the office in which I work, many employees are using a shared personal workbook. Here's how that is set up: On a network drive, there is a PERSONAL.xlam file. A shortcut to that is on everyone's XLSTART folder. The file is updated frequently, and that was the best way I could figure out how to serve our needs. It works perfectly except for one thing.

If someone opens an Excel workbook first thing in the morning and stays in there, PERSONAL.xlam is locked up from being updated until they close out of it, which tends to not be until the end of the day. Is there a solution to this? I mean, other than asking that person to close out of Excel of course.

Or if someone has another solution for this situation, I'm welcoming any suggestions too.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Your issue is because of the shortcut. If the file has no access control then everyone can open it and modify it. Could you not get the network admin to set the permissions so that only those who need 'write' access have it and rest have just 'read only'?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how easy it would be to get that done, unfortunately. Is there a way with VBA or something to force the workbook the open in read-only mode without an alert?

Upvote 0
I can't edit my last post, or else I would have.

I found a nice workaround. This will open it in read-only mode for everyone but me, or anyone with the same name as me, at least.

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
If Application.UserName <> "A Guy Named Robby" Then
ThisWorkbook.ChangeFileAccess Mode:=xlReadOnly
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Nice Find!

A couple of years ago I ran into this same issue, and what I ended up doing was always keeping my shared workbook as readonly, and then having it delete the workbook itself, resave itself, and then mark the file as readonly. I ran into an issue a couple of times where it would refuse to save and I had to do some manual work of saving it with a different name and having the person get out of excel. It was a lot more code then your solution so I hope that it turns out that this is fool proof!

Anyway the main reason I commented was to say that you can get around someone having the same name as you by using the following instead of Application.UserName. It might be overkill or it could be handy to know.
Code:
Environ$("UserDomain") & "/" & Environ$("UserName")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back