Sharing Macros With Modules

audioboxer

Hello - I'm using regex in a macro and need to share it with others. Will the receiver be able to use it without having to enable the reference in the VBA Editor? The user(s) are not computer literate.

While I am at it, is it possible for someone to add an add-in without enabling the developer option and then enabling the add in? Trying to think of the best way to share a macro with illiterate computer users.

Thank you

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hello - I'm using regex in a macro and need to share it with others. Will the receiver be able to use it without having to enable the reference in the VBA Editor? The user(s) are not computer literate.

If your code uses early binding for the regexp object, then no. If you code uses late binding, e.g.
VBA Code:
        Set RObj = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
then maybe.

Trying to think of the best way to share a macro with illiterate computer users.
Speaking from painful experience, don't even try. The best way to share a macro with illiterate computer users is to give them a worksheet with a nice big "Run Macro" button on it. :)

Upvote 0
While I am at it, is it possible for someone to add an add-in without enabling the developer option and then enabling the add in?
Yes, that's possible. In that situation (without installing de AddIn) you have to take into account that the AddIn is not automatically available with every start of Excel. The user has to open the AddIn manually, unless the code in your workbook arranges this. AddIn macros have to be launched with the Application.Run method.

Upvote 0
Thank you both, I completely forget about early/late binding. I’ll just share it as macro enabled workbook with a big “Run” button.

Upvote 0
You are welcome & thanks for letting us know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back