Sharing the document

OKearney

I am working on an Excel project that I am trying to make interactive with a group of 30 people. I originally tried doing this on Google Sheets, but that doesn't have specific locking features or the ability to create macros so I have to do it on excel. The problem I am encountering is that I will have one Excel document on a shared network that I am trying to give access to 30 people. They will each have their own tab on that document but they still all need the ability to edit certain aspects of the document at the same time. I know that excel gets fussy when multiple people try to edit the same document at the same time. The most important aspect of this program is that users get immediate feedback. Is there a way to allow 30 people to access and edit the same document?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Hi,
Sharing a workbook is generally not advisable – apart from losing some functionality, a shared workbook seldom performs in the manner expected:

http://blog.contextures.com/archives/2008/11/18/avoiding-shared-workbooks-in-excel/

Couple of alternative ideas:

- Make your users worksheets as separate workbooks – these can then be made to read / write to your master workbook which would act as a central database. This would require some reasonably extensive VBA coding.

- look at using Excel Online:

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...l-Online-0dcac23b-8430-4289-87a5-f2c97bdb49e1

Others here may have further suggestions.

Dave

Upvote 0
Would this sort of act like Google Sheets but with the full functions of Excel? Such as VBA coding capabilities?

Upvote 0
Would this sort of act like Google Sheets but with the full functions of Excel? Such as VBA coding capabilities?

The first option your users workbooks would behave as normally with all functionality & they can leave them open all day if needed.

Excel Online cannot really comment as neglected to mention I have little experience with it but others here can give guidance.

Dave

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

If you need real multi-user functionality I'd look at Access.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back