Shave As

JoshuaX1980

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a large (2 column) time series in Excel. If I want to use it in a Model I have to change the format to a .tss file. First i need to save it as Tab Delimited file and in a text editor I should be able to change the format. Unfortunately when I Save as Tab Delimited it automatically gets the extension .txt, and I cannot remove that. My friend can just remove the .txt extension and just put .tss there. We both have Office 2000 , but at my computer behind Tab Delimited it sais (*.txt). Why can't I remove the .txt, and does anybody have any suggestions how I CAN save the file as a .tss file?

Regards,
Lennart

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
How to save as tss

Open the file with notepad
chose: file, Save As, call it "Whatevernameyouwantittobe".tss, select in the save as option the All files choise (otherwise it becomes "thechosenName".tss.txt

About your typo (accidental wrong spelling) your topic would look better if you would call it "Save as" :wink: the text "Shave as" looks like you try to get the hair of you behind, and that would realy be a weird thing to do :LOL:

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the replies (all Dutch (y) ), but it doesn't work. The data consists of 6000 rows, so I had to use Wordpad. The All Files Choice is not there! I can only choose between:

Word for Windows 6.0
Rich Text Format (RTF)
Text Document
Text Document-MS DOS format
Unicode Text Document

Maybe there is another way? I need this as input in a DOS based computer program.

Hope to hear from you,
Lennart

PS The "Shave as" was actually to attract attention referring to "God Shave the Queen" :biggrin:

Upvote 0
When you get the Save As box choose your file type and enter your filename surrounded by double quotes. e.g. "file.tss"

This should prevent it putting any file extension that you don't require.

You can also edit file extensions in windows explorer but you may have to turn on the setting which displays them.

(y)

Upvote 0
Bit unclear that.

I mean Save As in Excel and selecting the Tab Delimited file type.

You shouldn't need to mess about with Wordpad etc.

(y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back