Sheet name in a formula

Rashad

Hi,

my question is that, when I am putting a formula (for example sum) and the source of information is a different sheet, in formula it shows the name of the sheet that I took the info from. However, when to the same formula I am adding an other value(cell) in a the same sheet that the formula is, it show the name of the sheet as well.

For example, I have 2 worksheets in a file (File1 and File2). I have number in a cell (A1) of File1 and in a cell (B1) of File2. I am putting a formula in File2 wanting to add these 2 numbers. it goes as =File1!A1+File2!B1. Why does it give me the name of File2 if instead of just B1, and how to I remove it.

I am using Excel 2010
windows 7

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
2 ways to solve your problem.

First arrange your book 1 and book 2 together. . i.e half of your screen should have book 1 and the other half should have book2. . now when you apply the sum formula in book 1 it will not give the book or sheet reference.

2nd option is to go to the formula tab and click insert function. then select sum. using this way will also solve your problem.

TY

Upvote 0
Thank you, however example that I showed is not the problem that I have. My data is much bigger and is not the one that I created. I am asking if there is some sort of function that removes all of these..

Upvote 0
When you click a tab it fetches its name, so usually we input first reference within that sheet then go to the other sheet
say in File 2
put equal sign then click B1 then + -> go to the next tab File1 you'll notice that once you click the tab the name appears in the formula.
=B1 + File1!A1

We'll it doesn't matter since it doesn't affect the formula(computation) really

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back