Shift Data

conleyle

I am not sure if this is even possible, but here goes.

I have a table that I will be making updates in with an Append query. There is a comment field, and there will likely be a new comment every time the field is updated (which could be multiple times). I would like to keep the previous comments in there somehow. I'm thinking of having multiple comment field (comments 1, comments 2...) and whenever I run the make table having it update the information with the current info, but shifting what is currently in [comments 2] into [comments 3], and [comments 1] into [comments 2], and the new comment going into [comments 1]. Is this possible? I'm trying to think through in my head how to make this work and I am getting my own syntax error in my mind :)

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
You need tblComments with a field that uses the original table ID field to link the comment with those records. If you do not have that in the existing table, you will have to add it and run an Update on the comments table (ensuring you do this correctly) before you delete the comments field in the original table. You didn't provide any table or field names being used, so I made up my own for you to relate to. In the example, record 1 in first table has two comments in the second table. If needed, a date field goes in tblCmnts, not the other, because it is related to the comment. If you want to show who entered the comment, the proper technique is to log the ID from tblUser (not their name) to maintain normalization.

tblOriginal
ID
DATA1
DATA2
adsfasdf
sdfvbxvx
afghtrh
fgssgfd

<tbody>
</tbody>

tblCmnts
ID
OrigID
Comment
sdfgsdf
dhmkgkgjk

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradel

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back