Show Active Students

WxShady13

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I have an Access DB that I use for my church's preschool. I need to add a filter button at the top to only show Active Students. How do I do this?

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Where exactly in the database are you trying to do this?

If were me, I would probably just create a query called "Active Students", and add Criteria that applies the logic to show only Active Students.
Then all they need to do is open that query to see it.

Typically, when creating a database for others to use, one usually creates a "Form Driven" database (as you typically do not want others poking around behind the scenes). So, you could create a "Main Landing Page" form, and put buttons on it to open your various queries, reports, forms, and exports.

Upvote 0
Where exactly in the database are you trying to do this?

If were me, I would probably just create a query called "Active Students", and add Criteria that applies the logic to show only Active Students.
Then all they need to do is open that query to see it.

Typically, when creating a database for others to use, one usually creates a "Form Driven" database (as you typically do not want others poking around behind the scenes). So, you could create a "Main Landing Page" form, and put buttons on it to open your various queries, reports, forms, and exports.
Awesome thank you. So I have taken the stock Students DB in Access and am working on adding the ability to filter by Active/Inactive and then track tuition payment. Is there an easier prebuilt DB in Access for this?

Upvote 0
Awesome thank you. So I have taken the stock Students DB in Access and am working on adding the ability to filter by Active/Inactive and then track tuition payment. Is there an easier prebuilt DB in Access for this?
There are some Access templates you can find online, but I don't know how much they would help with something like this.

What is your experience level with Access? Do you know how to create queries? If you simply need a few different "filters", it would probably be easier for you to create the queries with those filters on them, and would probably be easier for your users to use too (as it doesn't require any input on their part). You can make "interactive" user Forms, where they select a bunch of options to filter on, but that usually involves a bit of VBA, so it would probably be a little daunting for some fairly new to Access, especially if they have never used VBA.

Here is an article on creating queries in Access: Create a simple select query
If you do a Google search, you can find lots of information on Access queries, and building databases. What I find especially helpful is some of the YouTube tutorials, where you can see exactly what they are doing.

Upvote 0
If your form is based on a domain (set of records from a table or query) and it shows ALL students, then you already have that data loaded into the form. Another query wouldn't make much sense for that form IMO. If that is how your form is now, then you could simply filter the form using any one of a number of user actions. Which approach to use would depend on how many student "statuses" there are. If several, choosing one from a combo is a way. If only 2 (e.g. Active or Inactive) option/radio buttons in an option frame is another possibility. Once a choice is made, the form filter would be applied or removed accordingly. Option buttons can even provide the string (text) values that your status field uses and can be directly passed to the filter property.

Upvote 0
There are some Access templates you can find online, but I don't know how much they would help with something like this.

What is your experience level with Access? Do you know how to create queries? If you simply need a few different "filters", it would probably be easier for you to create the queries with those filters on them, and would probably be easier for your users to use too (as it doesn't require any input on their part). You can make "interactive" user Forms, where they select a bunch of options to filter on, but that usually involves a bit of VBA, so it would probably be a little daunting for some fairly new to Access, especially if they have never used VBA.

Here is an article on creating queries in Access: Create a simple select query
If you do a Google search, you can find lots of information on Access queries, and building databases. What I find especially helpful is some of the YouTube tutorials, where you can see exactly what they are doing.
Thank you

Upvote 0
You are welcome.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back