Show Database in Design Mode

tmurj

I have inherited a database that has a switchboard, the database window is hidden at start up and the bypass keys are disabled. Essentially the database is in user-friendly mode to protect the underlying data tables, queries, reports, etc.

I have to do some modifications to several forms and reports so I need to get into design mode. I as fairly versed in VBA and pretty familiar with access.

Any suggestions on how to enable the database window via code (or at least get into it) without having to import everything into a new database. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Sorry, I had to remove the reply that was posted here. We do not help with breaking passwords here on this site (see here):
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191239

I do not know if the problem is that the database is password protected. If it is, we cannot help you with that.

Upvote 0
Sorry Joe for not clarifying - there is no password on the database. I respect the rule on this and would not seek that kind of help here.

I just need help getting into design mode in order to create some enhancements to some reports and forms.

The database starts up with a menu form and I can not use the shift ket to bypass it starting that form nor can I get the database window to show up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
If the shift key and Enter does not work, try using F11 once the db is opened.

Alan

Upvote 0
You may have to import to a new DB first, then redo the startup options.
Unless the original developer has provided a form with a button that enables bypass and / or displays the window, you will need to create some code to do it. I don't have the specifics to hand but it involves using VBA to create a couple of properties which can then be toggled to allow or block the bypass keys.
See if Google helps at all, otherwise get your hands on a copy of Real World Microsoft Access Database Protection and Security by Garry Robinson. I think the publisher is Apress.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back