Showing a progress bar while connecting to MS Access Database

abyshek

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear Experts,

I am creating an excel tool that connects with an MS Access database stored in a remote location. Generally, it takes around 10 seconds ( sometimes faster depending on the internet speed) to run the query and get results back to the excel sheet. Currently, the form and the excel window freeze with a circle cursor which may falsely indicate that Excel is stuck or not responding.

Is there a way to show a form with a progress bar while the connection with MS Access is made and SQL query is being run? I do not want to show "please wait" message in the Excel status bar.

I want to show a progress bar when excel processes the following lines

VBA Code:
con.Open "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source = " & db_location & "; Jet OLEDB:Database Password = 123456"
query = ....some SQL query.....
recset.open query, con, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic
recset.close
con.close

I tried searching for answers, but all solutions catered to different scenarios. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you. :)

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Dear Experts,

I am creating an excel tool that connects with an MS Access database stored in a remote location. Generally, it takes around 10 seconds ( sometimes faster depending on the internet speed) to run the query and get results back to the excel sheet. Currently, the form and the excel window freeze with a circle cursor which may falsely indicate that Excel is stuck or not responding.

Is there a way to show a form with a progress bar while the connection with MS Access is made and SQL query is being run? I do not want to show "please wait" message in the Excel status bar.

I want to show a progress bar when excel processes the following lines

VBA Code:
con.Open "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source = " & db_location & "; Jet OLEDB:Database Password = 123456"
query = ....some SQL query.....
recset.open query, con, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic
recset.close
con.close

I tried searching for answers, but all solutions catered to different scenarios. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you. :)
Disclaimer: This question has been cross-posted for a quicker help. I need help as soon as possible. Thanks a lot to the whole community for being so helpful.

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
Thanks for letting us know that you have cross-posted this question, but can you please supply links to your thread on those other site(s) as per board rules #13 of the Forum Rules.

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
Thanks for letting us know that you have cross-posted this question, but can you please supply links to your thread on those other site(s) as per board rules #13 of the Forum Rules.
Dear Moderator,

Thanks for pointing me to the Forum Rules regarding cross-posting. I have read them and they make sense. Here is the cross-posted link:

www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/1380270-showing-a-progress-bar-while-connecting-to-ms-access-database.html

Upvote 0
There are two problems with what you want to do. The one that really matters is that VBA is single-threaded and the recset.open call is synchronous. That is, once this line of code starts to execute, VBA can't execute anything else until it returns. A progress bar is used when you have a loop in your code to do some work, and you update the progress bar each time through the loop.

(The second one is a moot point--even if you could display and update a progress bar, there is no way to tell how much progress is actually being made.)

The best you can do is show a modeless form that says "Query in progress". It can't show the actual progress to give the user a sense of how much is left to do.

[Also posted at cross-post location]

Upvote 0
Solution
There are two problems with what you want to do. The one that really matters is that VBA is single-threaded and the recset.open call is synchronous. That is, once this line of code starts to execute, VBA can't execute anything else until it returns. A progress bar is used when you have a loop in your code to do some work, and you update the progress bar each time through the loop.

(The second one is a moot point--even if you could display and update a progress bar, there is no way to tell how much progress is actually being made.)

The best you can do is show a modeless form that says "Query in progress". It can't show the actual progress to give the user a sense of how much is left to do.

[Also posted at cross-post location]
@6StringJazzer, thanks for the insights and great idea. I tried that and it worked like charm.. I used a "Connecting...." GIF image and used a Microsoft WebBrowser control to play it in a UserForm. I loaded this and my original UserForm as modeless (vbModeless) and it solved the purpose.

Thank you so much for your help. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moo4247

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back