Showing info/data from a cell inside of a list documents whose filenames are listed in column B.

Topher

I am trying to do something here.
I searched the internet and found this how to article. http://www.ehow.com/how_2105843_link-data-another-spreadsheet-excel.html.
This is half-way what I'm trying to do.
What I am REALLY trying to do is... (Referreing to the example in this article...)

"=[EBAY Bookkeeping.xls]Sheet1'!$C$7."
I want to substitute the words/characters ---> [EBAY Bookkeeping.xls]---> with the words that are in Cell B2 of the spreadsheet that I am creating the link in {MASTER DOCUMENT.xls}
FYI, the information that I have in the Cell B2 is a file name. Column B is a list of 300+ file names.

Example:
B2... RestaurantCompany15.xls C2... Info from the filename in cell B2... Sheet4,Cell P182
B3... GroceryCompany8.xls C2... Info from the filename in cell B3... Sheet4,Cell P182
B4... AutoRepairIncorporated45.xls C2... Info from the filename in cell B4... Sheet4,Cell P182
B5... Etc.Etc.Company.xls C2... Info from the filename in cell B5... Sheet4,Cell P182

Once I have that, and the link works, I should be able to copy it down and voilà... Right?

So yes, in theory, I want/need a quick way to read certain cells in all the 300 spreadsheets. Please no XML, I have a feeling I'm really close. Thanks! -Topher

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back