Showing the direction a value is moving

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I sometimes create sheets to track the standings of sports teams. Some of these sheets contains rankings. Over time, the rankings change. In the past, I have calculated the change in rank by subtracting the old ranking from the new one (=NewRank-OldRank). This works, but can be a little misleading. If a team goes up 3 positions in ranking, from 10 to 7, the new-old formula results in a negative value (7 - 10 = -3). This is correct, but misleading. I then changed the formula be reversing the terms (=OldRank-NewRank). Now we get "+3", but this is still somewhat confusing because 7-10 does not equal "+3".

I have what I think is a better solution. Since we are interested in the movement up and down in the rankings, I have replaced the plus and minus signs with up and down arrows. For a positive value, which represents a lower ranking, the "+" sign is replaced by a down arrow ("↓"). for a negative value, which represents a higher ranking, the "-" is replaced by an up arrow ("↑").

This is easily achieved with this custom format: ↓0;↑0;"="

Here is a sample table showing my Awesome Ants moving up from 4th to 1st.

I couldn't figure out a way to draw a border around part of the table, so I highlighted the three sections in different colors.

R/CCDEFGHIJKLMN
43/28/19
3/24/19
3/20/19
5TeamRankΔ↕
Δ±RankΔ↕Δ±RankΔ↕Δ±Formulas
6Ants1↑2-23
↑1-14----H6: =G6-J6I6: =G6-J6
7Tigers2==2↓1
+11----H7: =G7-J7I7: =G7-J7
8Bears3↓2+21↑1-12----H8: =G8-J8I8: =G8-J8
9Slugs4↓1+13==3----H9: =G9-J9I9: =G9-J9

<tbody>
</tbody>

I offer this in case it might be useful for anyone else, but I would welcome any suggestions to improve it.

Note: There are a couple of alternatives to this solution:

1. Reverse the terms in the difference formula (=old-new). This makes higher rankings show a positive delta, but I still think this is misleading and confusing.
  2. Swap characters before each section of the custom format string (-0;+0;"=") or (↑0;↓0;"="). The former is the same as reversing the terms. The latter is the equivalent of the table above.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
PS: Be sure to use the arrow characters from the from the standard (Calibri) font, not one of the symbol or dingbat fonts. The method I use is:

• Select an unused cell.
  • Insert the symbol using Insert | Symbol and then making sure that the font is Calabri.
  • Scroll down to the last page of characters.
  • Select the arrow symbol and click Insert & Close.
  • Edit the cell, copy the symbol to the clipboard.
  • Edit the custom format & paste the symbol where you need it.

The symbol can also be gotten into the clipboard using Word, which is a little simpler.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back