simple, but im stuck

craig bradshaw

Board Regular
being brand new to access, and have read a bit (not much) I need a quick pointer on forms, 2 things i have created 3 tables, sites,activations,maint.

I want to create a stand alone form (point one) that works as follows, a drop down box with site id, this will populate the form automaticaly from the associated data in the sites table, once this is done I will fill in the rest of the form manualy..

Basic I know but I cant get my head round it.......................

Cheers.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Here are a few options:

Option 1
Write a query that connects the tables that show/house the data you want to view/enter. Put a parameter on the query on the Site ID field, so that when you open the query, it asks the user to enter the site ID. Use this query to create your form. Now when you open the form, it will ask the user for the site ID, and then open that record.

Advantages: Simple, requires no special code
Disadvanatges: Basic, doesn't allow for use of drop-down box in choosing site ID

Option 2
Write a query connecting your tables, just like above. Create a Criteria form where the user can select a site ID from a drop-down box, and then click OK to process. Clicking OK will invoke VBA code to create a SQL statement to open your form with the record you selected.

Advantages: Elegant, can use drop-down boxes to select
Disadvanatges: A bit more complex, as it requires writing VBA code and creating SQL statements (probably beyond the scope of beginning designers)

This is not to say these are the only options, but these are a few that I have used along the way. Hopefully, this is helpful to you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back