Simple Copy Paste with VBA Problem - Please Help!

rootdown42

Board Regular
I'm really pulling my hair out on this, cause this shouldn't be difficult.

I have two sheets, a "Data" and "Display" sheet. I'm simply trying to copy the data from "Data" to "Display". When I get to the following code:
Code:
shtData.Range("A2", Range("A2").End(xlDown).End(xlToRight).Address).Copy _
        Destination:=shtDisplay.Cells(7, 2)
I get a runtime error 1004 - information can't be pasted because copy and paste area are not the same size/shape. Doesn't VBA know that Cells(7, 2) is only the top-right cell of the range I'm trying to paste? I can't define the size of the paste range because the copy range size is going to be different every time. I swear I've done this before without issue. Is this error really caused by range-size issues, or could it have a problem with switching from one sheet to another?

This project is due to my boss tomorrow, and I'm going to look really dumb if this is why I can't deliver. Any help is most appreciated.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Yes VBA does know that Cells(7, 2) is only the top-right cell of the range you're trying to paste. But what is the size of Range("A2", Range("A2").End(xlDown).End(xlToRight).Address)? It may be more columns than you have available on the target sheet.

Upvote 0
Even with multiple column your code seems to work for me... how are you assigning the values to shtData and shtDisplay?

Upvote 0
Thank you both for your replys. Andrew was correct in that I was trying to paste more than I could on shtDisplay. This occurred because when I attempted to copy the data by using xlToRight, I ended up including every column over to column 256, which is not what I was trying to do. So that problem is solved.

But this leads me to a new problem. I'm trying to copy over all the data excluding the header row in row 1. I had previously used this code to copy the data
Code:
shtData.Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(rowDataEnd, colDataEnd)).Copy
where rowDataEnd contains the last row of data and colDataEnd contains the last column of data - both defined as Long. When I ran this code, I get the dreaded "Run time error 1004 - application defined or object defined error", but I did a Watch on both variables and they contain the correct values. Can you help me determine why this method doesn't work?

Upvote 0
The variables might be correct but since you've not used a worksheet reference for Cells VBA could be looking at the wrong sheet.
Code:
With shtData
   .Range(.Cells(2, 1), .Cells(rowDataEnd, colDataEnd)).Copy
End With

Upvote 0
I think that you need to qualify the Cells with the sheet:

Code:
shtData.Range(shtData.Cells(2, 1), shtData.Cells(rowDataEnd, colDataEnd)).Copy

Upvote 0
Yes! That was it! Thank you so much everyone for your quick and excellent help. This board is a life saver.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back