Simple Date Format Frustration

mudz78

Man, this ios really bugging me.

I want excel cells that I type the dates into in the format of dd/mm/yy.

I put the data in the the cells but they are not displaying as expected.

When I check the format they have switched to like armenian, or some other obscure format. Further, although the cells are not displaying correctly, the values I read in the function bar are exactly as typed.

For example, I tyoe them in as dd/mm/yy, they display in the cell as mm/dd/yy, but can be viewed in the function bar as dd/mm/yy. WTF?

Reallly starting to get to me.

Thanks for any advice,
-J=ohn

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
What if....select the cell(s) with the date, Format - Cells and choose your date format in the Number tab.

HTH

RAM

Upvote 0
RAM said:
What if....select the cell(s) with the date, Format - Cells and choose your date format in the Number tab.

HTH

RAM

Uh, yeah.

When I check the format they have switched to like armenian, or some other obscure format

Need I mention that I attmepted to change this to no effect? I thought that it would have been pretty self explanatory.

-John

Upvote 0
I am not trying to anything fancy with times, or functions. SImply want to tpye the dates in as dd/mm/yy so I can sort them correctly.

Changing the format affects some of the cells but not others. I fI paste values into another worksheet, then I get a bunch of serial numbers and a bunch pf text that looks like a date.

Thoughts?

-John

Upvote 0
"Thoughts?"

That remarks like:

"Uh, yeah."

...are not designed to attract the maximum number of willing helpers to your cause.

That said, the date settings set in start | settings | date, time and regional settings | change the... take precedence over the excel settings.

For anything more specific, you'll need to give more specific examples of the data you're entering, results you're getting / want etc.

Upvote 0
PaddyD said:
"Thoughts?"

That remarks like:

"Uh, yeah."

...are not designed to attract the maximum number of willing helpers to your cause.

The poster was being smart. I'm not willing to cop that crap.

That said, the date settings set in start | settings | date, time and regional settings | change the... take precedence over the excel settings.

Of course! Thank you, Your time is much appreciated.
-John

Upvote 0
"The poster was being smart"

I disagree. It is not always clear what a poster has, or has not, tried. Clearly, you were getting frustrated & it showed in your post. Still, we try & keep the board's tone as positive as possible, so you should try a little harder to keep your frustrations off the forum.

Glad you've got the issue sorted.

Upvote 0
PaddyD said:
"The poster was being smart"

I disagree. It is not always clear what a poster has, or has not, tried. Clearly, you were getting frustrated & it showed in your post. Still, we try & keep the board's tone as positive as possible, so you should try a little harder to keep your frustrations off the forum.

Glad you've got the issue sorted.

You're right. I was extremlely aggravated by the time I posted my response to RAM.

My apologies RAM.

Having just quit smoking has me a little on edge.

Cheers,
-John

Upvote 0
"Having just quit smoking has me a little on edge. "

Keep it up - I'm in month 17 since I quit - difficult at first, easy now & well worth the effort.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back