Simple formula overthinking

Inquiring_Minds

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm working on a checklist for my company. I'm sure I'm overthinking some of this.

I'm trying to find a formula that I can use to determine points/fees out of 100 automatically on the worksheet.
I need this to be for positive and negative numbers
I want to use information keyed in by different cells to auto populate the answer.
D8 (points bought) manually keyed in
B9 (loan amount) manually keyed in
D9 is the total points (D8-100) this should auto populate after keying the points in
D10 is the total costs of the points (D9*B9) this should auto populate after keying the loan amount in
They both should automatically be negative or positive depending on the total points bought, in their own cells

I can make this work (with a simple formula) but it will only return positive (or as a credit), I need mine to be able to do both.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Assuming loan amount is always positive, then the two formulas should always have the same sign anyway. What am I missing?

Upvote 0
It may help to use the xl2bb add in an give a sample of your worksheet, and an example.
With the way you have explained it, this is what I come up with:

Mr Excel Questions2.xlsm
ABCDE
7Points Bought
9Loan Amount100,000.00-98Total Points
10(9,800,000.00)Total Cost of Points
Sheet6
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D9D9=IF(D8="","",D8-100)
D10D10=D9*B9

Upvote 1
D9 = d8-100
will be negative if D8 is less than 100

for example
D9 = -99 - if D8 =1

D9*B9
so if D9 is negative - then result will be negative

-99 * B9 - assuming B9 is not negative

Upvote 0
D9 = d8-100
will be negative if D8 is less than 100

for example
D9 = -99 - if D8 =1

D9*B9
so if D9 is negative - then result will be negative

-99 * B9 - assuming B9 is not negative
Assuming loan amount is always positive, then the two formulas should always have the same sign anyway. What am I missing?
Think of it as buying a house (since that's what I need it for). When you purchase a home, you can purchase "points" which will raise your closing costs but lowers your interest (this will become a negative b/c it is being purchased). Sometimes the lender (my company) will give a credit for those points (this would be a credit/positive because we are giving it to them). I'm able to figure out the amount if I just used the number of points by the loan amount, but my company is looking to be able to key a figure in (points), whether positive or negative, and then auto populate another cell with the costs.

If D8 was 101 then D9 would be - 0.1
If D8 was 99 then D9 would be 0.1
The cost of the point would either be a charge (0.1) or a credit (-0.1). the loan amount (B9) will always be positive.

Upvote 0
Yes but D10 will be the same sign as D9. I thought that was the question?

Upvote 0
@Inquiring_Minds , not everyone here understands mortgage points. You need to explain apple to apples. Points and Mortgage amounts have different decimal positions.

Upvote 0
As [B] awoohaw[/B]
pointed out - I was just going by the words in the example and post - NO IDEA about mortgage points and decimal places

without a fuller explanation, then i dont see how i can add further value to this post - I will leave to other members who understand the nuances here

Upvote 0
As [B] awoohaw[/B]
pointed out - I was just going by the words in the example and post - NO IDEA about mortgage points and decimal places

without a fuller explanation, then i dont see how i can add further value to this post - I will leave to other members who understand the nuances here
I'm sorry, i thought it could be the same as a normal math problem, in my mind it is.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prabhuk279

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back