simple issue with 'friendly name' & hyperlink in a cell...

kbishop94

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
this should be simple... but I sure can't see what the devil I'm doing wrong here 🤦‍♂️

the formula below should work (if I'm following the examples I've seen off the web correctly, that is)
this code would go in C2 in the example/mock-up that I pasted below. The single row that is shown is row "2". The letters above the row are to represent which column it is.

VBA Code:
=HYPERLINK(G2,E2)
(where G2 is the hyperlink address and E2 is the 'friendly name' in that cell that I want to use as the name for the hyperlink.

what is actually in C2 right now is this code:
VBA Code:
=HYPERLINK(F2, "DOT Closure Training – 2022")

this does work, btw... the above formula correctly references the hyperlink shown in column G, which itself is the result of combining column E and F.
Column E, btw, will always be the same. It represents the first part of the address for the hyperlink.

C: this is the result of the formula with the 'friendly name' in quotes above.D: this is the first part of the location/address. it will always be the same.E: this is the last part of the address. This is a unique name that will be different for each individual row.) F: (F: is column D & column E combined)G: (G is the hyperlink column... this represents the value of column F)
DOT Closure Training – 2022J:\QMS_General Facility\Training\Training_Events\2022\HAZMAT_training_-_2022_-_Building_8J:\QMS_General Facility\Training\Training_Events\2022\HAZMAT_training_-_2022_-_Building_8J:\QMS_General Facility\Training\Training_Events\2022\HAZMAT_training_-_2022_-_Building_8

but when I insert this formula into C2:
VBA Code:
=HYPERLINK(G2,E2)
it just shows up as: "=HYPERLINK(G2,E2)" in the cell... :unsure:
I thought it might be due to a space I was using after the comma following "G2" (because the examples I found did not use a comma here) but that had no effect. Any thoughts/help/suggestions?

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Check that the cell is formatted as General & not Text.

Upvote 0
Check that the cell is formatted as General & not Text.
Thank you Fluff... I did check how all the cells were formatted, and they were all the same (general)

I do not understand the behavior that is going on, but here is what I figured out:

I created a new workbook from scratch and copied-and-pasted into it the simple code that I posted above. Everything then worked.(?) Including both formulas; the =HYPERLINK(F2, "DOT Closure Training – 2022") and then the =HYPERLINK(G2,E2) (which is the one that did not work in the original workbook.)

Then I took (copied-and-pasted) all these now working cells from the new workbook and pasted them back into the original workbook, and (surprisingly) they were now working.

But I dont understand why (still in the original workbook with the copied over cells from the new workbook) when I type out the formula =HYPERLINK(F2, "DOT Closure Training – 2022") it works, but then when I change it to =HYPERLINK(G2,E2) (and NOTHING else) it goes right back to showing the formula instead of the calculated value. ???

Not only that, (and here's will it gets really weird), I go into one of the cells that was copied over (one that contains the formula =HYPERLINK(G2,E2) ) and I type ANYTHING in that cell (in the formula), like typing over the "G" in G2 with another "G" (so I'm not changing anything in that cell, everything is still the same before I made a keystroke and re-typed a "G" over the existing "G"), and then hit enter, it goes back to showing the formula instead of the calculated value. explain that one. :eek: lol

I showed this to several work mates and none of them could explain it or see whats wrong nor had any of them encountered anything like this before...

So what do you think... is my computer possessed? lol

Upvote 0
Everything sound as though the cell is/was formatted as text.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
almerpogi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back