Simple Plotting Question

Xenoun

Board Regular
Hello,
I'm just wondering if its able to plot a horizontal line on a graph at a specific value. i.e. y=4. I'm currently just plotting two points and letting the graph add the line between them, but it would be much more useful if excel had a way of automatically plotting a horizontal line at a spicified point.

Does this exist, or am I just wishing for something that isn't there? I'm using Excel 2007 if that helps

Thanks

Edit: I'm using a scatterplot aswell, didn't state it earlier

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Excel doesn't have an 'automatic' way of creating a horizontal line. How would it know where to put the line?

You can do what you are doing or in some cases you can adjust the major (or even the minor) unit of the y-axis to get a horizontal line.
Hello,
I'm just wondering if its able to plot a horizontal line on a graph at a specific value. i.e. y=4. I'm currently just plotting two points and letting the graph add the line between them, but it would be much more useful if excel had a way of automatically plotting a horizontal line at a spicified point.

Does this exist, or am I just wishing for something that isn't there? I'm using Excel 2007 if that helps

Thanks

Edit: I'm using a scatterplot aswell, didn't state it earlier

Upvote 0
Excel doesn't have an 'automatic' way of creating a horizontal line. How would it know where to put the line?

You can do what you are doing or in some cases you can adjust the major (or even the minor) unit of the y-axis to get a horizontal line.

It would know where to put the line if you could specify the equation of the line.

I'll just leave it how I have it then, was thinking that excel didn't have this feature but wanted to check just in case

Upvote 0
The charts i'm doing are trend charts and as such they will grow larger over time. The series I have for the horizontal line uses the first date and the last date to plot two points and then I have a trendline joining them as im using the scatterplot which is just dots.

When the trend chart becomes larger the horizontal line will stay the same length unless I edit the series and change the final date. I wanted to avoid doing this and was asking if there's a way for to get excel to plot a horizontal line for me without data points

Upvote 0
It helps to ask the question you really want resolved and not what you think people can help with. {grin}

Suppose your x-values (dates) are in column A. Then, for the 2nd series you are using for a horizontal line, use the following: for the 1st x-value use =MIN(A:A) and for the 2nd x-value use =MAX(A:A).

You can even have the horizontal line span the entire width of the plot area but that's a little more work.

This will ensure your
The charts i'm doing are trend charts and as such they will grow larger over time. The series I have for the horizontal line uses the first date and the last date to plot two points and then I have a trendline joining them as im using the scatterplot which is just dots.

When the trend chart becomes larger the horizontal line will stay the same length unless I edit the series and change the final date. I wanted to avoid doing this and was asking if there's a way for to get excel to plot a horizontal line for me without data points

Upvote 0
Thanks, that'll work. I was thinking there may have been something like that when I was writing my last reply but i've been too busy since then to look into it

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back