Simple question about tables

sgcannon

Board Regular
I have been using Excel for many years but have never used tables. For my first foray into the topic I created a simple table that tracks my exercise and weight loss. It is supposed to automatically create a new row for each day whenever I enter new data. But the formula is not updating in one column. This column is supposed to find my weight from 7 days ago and subtract it from my current weight to give me a one week weight loss. Obviously, for the first 7 rows of the table, I want the cell to be "". There are a lot of ways I could do this but I thought that the simplest would be:

=IF(TODAY()<[@Date],"",IF(ROW()<10,"",[@Weight]-IF(ROW()<10,D$3,D3)))

The D$3 is just so that I don't reference a cell location that doesn't exist because it has a negative row.

But this formula doesn't update each time I add a new row. I am suspecting that it has to do with the lack of a structured reference in the D$3,D3 but since I have never used structured references before, I'm really not sure how to use a structured reference to go back 7 rows.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Steve

When I set up a simple table with 3 columns, one for Date, one for Weight and one with the formula i posted it's working fine, i.e. the formula is copied down when new data is added.

Is there anything else going in the workbook?

If you rebuild the table does it work properly?

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for your help. I realized what my problem was and I'm embarrassed to say that I had set up this column by writing a formula way down in the worksheet and copying up. The result was that while my formula worked in the higher rows, in the lower rows I was getting a #REF because I was pointing to negative columns. I did not notice the problem initially because the formula for those cells had an output of "", exactly how I wanted, but obscuring the fact that excel wasn't happy with the formula.

Steve

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back