simple question (subtracting time)..

Hoffman

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Thanks in advance..
I have always gotten great help from this fantastic community...

I would like a way to subtract time amounts (not actual time of day) from 2 cells.

So A1 says 4 hours 12 min 8 sec
B1 says 2 hours 8 min 7 sec

and
c1 needs to be the difference?

C1 2 hours 4 min 1 sec (want excel to do, right now I am doing by hand)

so in short, in the cells I need to write the amount of hours min and seconds and then I need a way to find the difference in cells.

thanks very much and wishing terrifichealth for 2023

Barry

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hi to all.
With this format in A1 and B1: 4 hours, 2 min, 1 sec use in C1:

=HOUR(TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1," hours, ",":")," min, ",":")," sec",""))-TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B1," hours, ",":")," min, ",":")," sec","")))&" hours, " & MINUTE(TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1," hours, ",":")," min, ",":")," sec",""))-TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B1," hours, ",":")," min, ",":")," sec","")))&" min, " & SECOND(TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1," hours, ",":")," min, ",":")," sec",""))-TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B1," hours, ",":")," min, ",":")," sec","")))&" sec"

:eek::eek: :biggrin:

think may work now- still trying

assuming all is working, could you help me with 1 last thing please.
can we clean up the code you sent a bit so instead of the cell saying

4 hours, 2 min, 1 sec

I want to type them in to say this

4 hr 2 min 1 sec

do I need the comas there? if I do I will keep them but if not I'd rather it just be

4 hr 2 min 1 sec

thanks so much!

Barry

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What have you tried?
The following may provide some ideas that you can work with.

Time.xlsm
ABC
74 hours 12 mins 8 Sec2 hours 8 min 7 sec2:04:01
812 hours 42 mins 8 Sec8 hours 50 min 40 sec3:51:28
11b
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C7C7=TIME(LEFT(A7,FIND(" ",A7)-1),MID(A7,FIND("m",A7)-3,2),MID(A7,FIND("e",A7)-3,1))-TIME(LEFT(B7,FIND(" ",B7)-1),MID(B7,FIND("m",B7)-3,2),MID(B7,FIND("e",B7)-3,1))
C8C8=TIME(LEFT(A8,FIND(" ",A8)-1),MID(A8,FIND("m",A8)-3,2),MID(A8,FIND("e",A8)-3,1))-TIME(LEFT(B8,FIND(" ",B8)-1),MID(B8,FIND("m",B8)-3,2),MID(B8,FIND("e",B8)-4,2))

Upvote 0
What have you tried?
The following may provide some ideas that you can work with.

Time.xlsm
ABC
74 hours 12 mins 8 Sec2 hours 8 min 7 sec2:04:01
812 hours 42 mins 8 Sec8 hours 50 min 40 sec3:51:28
11b
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C7C7=TIME(LEFT(A7,FIND(" ",A7)-1),MID(A7,FIND("m",A7)-3,2),MID(A7,FIND("e",A7)-3,1))-TIME(LEFT(B7,FIND(" ",B7)-1),MID(B7,FIND("m",B7)-3,2),MID(B7,FIND("e",B7)-3,1))
C8C8=TIME(LEFT(A8,FIND(" ",A8)-1),MID(A8,FIND("m",A8)-3,2),MID(A8,FIND("e",A8)-3,1))-TIME(LEFT(B8,FIND(" ",B8)-1),MID(B8,FIND("m",B8)-3,2),MID(B8,FIND("e",B8)-4,2))
I like those.
What Rollis13 works for me too

his code is
=HOUR(TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(I39," hrs, ",":")," min, ",":")," sec",""))-TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(H39," hrs, ",":")," min, ",":")," sec","")))&" hrs, " & MINUTE(TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(I39," hrs, ",":")," min, ",":")," sec",""))-TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(H39," hrs, ",":")," min, ",":")," sec","")))&" min, " & SECOND(TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(I39," hrs, ",":")," min, ",":")," sec",""))-TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(H39," hrs, ",":")," min, ",":")," sec","")))&" sec"

now I am just trying to learn if I can get rid of all commas so cells look like
A1 4 hrs 13 min 6 sec
B1 2 hrs 9 min 5 sec
C1 2 hrs 4 min 1 sec

notice all commas gone.

possible using his code?

thanks!

Barry

Upvote 0
In my formula, wherever you see hrs, or min, just type hrs and min without the commas (leaving the spaces before and after, sec goes with only the leading space).

Upvote 0
In my formula, wherever you see hrs, or min, just type hrs and min without the commas (leaving the spaces before and after, sec goes with only the leading space).

Got it. Just as needed.

Thanks so much.
You are talented and so helpful.
Happy New year!

thanks!
Barry

Upvote 0
Book1
ABCDEFGHIJK
14 hrs 7 min 8 sec2 hrs 2 min 3 sec4784:07 AM2232:02 AM2 hrs 05 min 05 sec
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:E1C1=TRANSPOSE(FILTERXML("<t><s>"&SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","</s><s>")&"</s></t>","//s[position()=1 or position()=3 or position()=5]"))
F1,J1F1=TIME(C1,D1,E1)
G1:I1G1=TRANSPOSE(FILTERXML("<t><s>"&SUBSTITUTE(B1," ","</s><s>")&"</s></t>","//s[position()=1 or position()=3 or position()=5]"))
K1K1=F1-J1
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back