Simple questions: '[Final.XLS]07.01.04'! and using cells

poopdepants

Hey guys

I'm calling data from other sheets.

I autofilled the address and got this:

'[Final.XLS]07.01.04'! (And then the cell number)

Where does the 07.01.04 come from? It is not a folder name.

Also, I was wondering if I can use a cell on the sheet to call up data in the other cells.

Cell A1 contains the filename.

I've tried '[A1]'! with no success. I'm a n00b. What do I do?

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Your question has been answered in many other threads. A simple search for INDIRECT.EXT will give you the results you need.

Upvote 0
Listen, I've searched for that thanks to previous recommendations, but you see, I have no idea how to implement it in my own work.

I'm already using SUMIF. How do I nest INDIRECT.EXT into that?

I have no idea!

Upvote 0
How about something like this?:
Book1
ABCD
1indirect_test.xls
Sheet1

And the sheet where the data is:
indirect_test.xls
ABCD
1a1
2b2
3c3
4d4
5a5
6b6
7a7
8a8
Sheet1

Formula in Book1, Cell A3 is:

=SUMIF([indirect_test.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$A$8,"a",[indirect_test.xls]Sheet1!$B$1:$B$8)

That any help? indirect_test.xls was open when I did this....

Upvote 0
yeah man, I can do that, but I want to know how to make it point to a source according to cell A1, so I will have a variable sheet name in the SUMIF.

Upvote 0
SUMIF('[=INDIRECT("&C11&".xls)]job costings'!$D15:G732,"1.1",'[=INDIRECT("&C11&".xls)]job costings'!$F15:F1564)

Your syntax is off, the indirect function won't work the way you want it in this case, which is why someone mentioned the INDIRECT.EXT which is part of the morefunc add in (i think) downloadable from this site.

There must be an easier way for to you link to the data in the other workbooks, rather than relying on the cell for the workbook name...does the workbook name change frequently?

You can also check out the help file on INDIRECT for guidance on using that function.

Upvote 0
Yeah.

I'm trying to create a template that can be used over and over for jobs with different ID numbers.

A different job ID means different filenames all round.

Upvote 0
Well, you "could" consider an alternative...such as, simply linking your template to one of the file names, and when you want to update with a new filename, go to EDIT> LINKS and point to the new file. Your formulas will update automatically.

That is the easiest way to change the source file. Provided your source files of all these jobs are identical (which they would have to be, or your existing attempt would be futile anyway!)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back