Simple Questions

collegekev

Hi All,

I have a simple question but first off would like to thank everyone who contributes to this forum. I have been reading it steadily for the past month and a half when I've been bored at my internship (which is about half of the day) and can say that my knowledge in Excel has probably tripled. Similar to most people I'm sure, I thought I was pretty advanced in Excel until I came here (I had no knowledge on the power of array formulas prior to coming here!). Last semester, I worked with a major food company and developed a model in Excel for them to use in scheduling. I am continuing the project this semester and can say that thanks to this site, I have cleaned the model up quite a bit. My simple question refers to this post (and I have seen this same technique used in other posts):
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333823

Why does Barry surround the condition with quotations? I think it has to do with testing a condition that involves text, but I have seen this in numerous posts and would appreciate if someone could share the reasoning behind this (Couldn't he have also used the month function on B4:M4 and removed the quotations from the condition?) Thanks!

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
As I understand it the second argument in a SUMIF formula has to be text, hence the quotes and concatenation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back