Simple Spreadsheet for primary school kids

markerd

I am creating a simple spreadsheet for primary school kids that will correct certain activities that they do. I want them to fill in the missing numbers in a sequence, e.g. 2, 4, 6,?, 10. How do I program Excel to give feed back to the children if they are correct or incorrect. Is it done through conditional formatting? If possible I would like each answer to be ticked or marked wrong with some degree of feedback like 'Well Done, that is correct.'

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Take a look at writing event procedure macros, specifically the Worksheet_Change event. What you can do with this is any time a certain cell is changed (i.e., an answer is entered), it can check the answer and return a message.

For details on this, check out this link http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm

Upvote 0
If writing macros is not your thing, you could do this fairly easily with if statements. You can also use one of the more graphic fonts (again in the if statement) to produce ticks and crosses. Have a look at the system font and wingdings there in there somewhere.

The if statement would take the form of

=if(cell input="","",if(cell input = cell answer, "correct","wrong")). where cell input refers to the cell where the children will put an anser and cell answer, the cell that houses the anser and can be hidden away somewhere.

If you need further assistance post back.

Upvote 0
You can also make the feedback more interesting, by making a short list of statements: Good Job!, Excellent!, Keep up the Good Work!, You're SO smart! .... and make a cell with "=ROUNDUP(4*RAND(),0)" where the 4 is the number of phrases. Then use the "Offset" function to place a new and unpredictable response next to the childs answers.

We could also put in a "reset" button that would automatically fill the "Quiz Sheet" witha new set of problems, of the same type but with different values.

If you want more help, I could make this little "Quiz Sheet" template for you and send it.

Cheers, DaVinci

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back