Simplify formula

Iridium

Its Monday morning and I haven't drunk enough coffee to get my brain functioning yet. My formula does what I want it to but its a bit unwieldy - any ideas to simplify?

=IF(OR(N20="",N21="",P20="",P21="",N26="",N27="",P26="",P27=""),"",IF(AND(N20="Pass",N21="Pass",P20="Pass",P21="Pass",N26="Pass",N27="Pass",P26="Pass",P27="Pass"),"Pass",IF(OR(N20="Second level testing",N21="Second level testing",P20="Second level testing",P21="Second level testing",N26="Second level testing",N27="Second level testing",P26="Second level testing",P27="Second level testing"),"Second level testing","Fail")))

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
You can use this normal formula:

=IF(COUNTIF(N20:P21,"")+COUNTIF(N26:P27,""),"",IF((COUNTIF(N20:P21,"Pass")+COUNTIF(N26:P27,"Pass"))=12,"Pass",IF(COUNTIF(N20:P21,"Second level testing")+COUNTIF(N26:P27,"Second level testing"),"Second level testing","Fail")))

or this array formula:

=IF(COUNT(IF(N20:P21,N26:P27="")),"",IF((COUNT(IF(N20:P21,N26:P27="Pass")))=12,"Pass",IF(COUNT(IF(N20:P21,N26:P27="Second level testing")),"Second level testing","Fail")))

remembering to press Ctrl+Shift+Enter not just enter.

Upvote 0
My query hopefully exlained well here:

Want to create a simple table for stock market calculations. As I progress creating formulas from one column to the next each formula is in some cases (not surprisingly) dependent on the results of the previous formula. That's OK if it's a simple table with few formulas. But as the "dependent" formulas get more complex that could potentially slow down the calculations. Regardless, after viewing the formulas, I replaced these formulas so they contain ONLY the INDEPENDENT variables and don't have to depend on "chain" results. But this replacement process could take forever in a large spreadsheet having complex formulas. Is there an easier way to do this replacement? Thanks people.
My google link for this simple example excel sheet is https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...uVEp1LS1Nbnp6TXc&hl=en&authkey=CLmlx_8B#gid=0

and shows three tables - the original "dependent" formulas, values and the revised formulas with INDEPENDENT variables. Hope you are able to see it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KB13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back