Simply Awesome Community here !!!

slugifur

Hi Guys n Gals,

I have been a fairly amateurish exceller!! over the years, and due to a recent sales job have I needed to do something a little more complex than sum(a1:a20) etc... !! lol

SO anyway... as I say. I started working for a home improvements company, who were operating in the stoneage wrt technology, and the overwhelming amount of sales brochures, survey pictures, data capture, invoices, commission forms (musnt forget that one) meant that after my first appointment I needed 6 hours on my PC writing the quote up, making sense of my survey notes, putting all the data into a spreadsheet, and then calculating my commission claim to the boss...
sheesh...

so I decided to think about making some user forms so that when I was sitting with the customer asking about conservatory style, ..(roof options, glass/poly, door size, survey info (drains, trees, old structures, soil type, etc etc)floor finish, plastering options, underfloor heating, tiling, laminates, electrical spec... etc etc... )I could easily click a button for each section and spit all the data to a single column, (appropriately indexed with row labels, )

so with the help of info on these boards, I assembled a very admirable selection of userform, with drop downs, picture indexers, flip out extending forms, in-form calculators, etc etc ...And I have to say, that it has taken some effort to piece it all together fixing little bugs wrt identifiers,labels, etc etc... and I have almost got there...
I can now run through slideshows, previous build info etc, style galleries, (in user forms), show all our trade mark reg info, collect all data from the customer, sizes etc etc... its all there.. in about 2 minutes... and my presentations will, I am sure, now come across very professional... and more importantly I have the roots of a database to then use in the future for generating the Customer Quote, and my commission claim etc..

So... whats the question im asking here... ?.

Well.... During several stages of the data collection I have extended list boxes so I that can chose several options... (ie: Edwardian, Glass Roof, Roof Vent) which are just three options from a list of 30 or so.... and it spits this data onto the spreadsheet form that I have labelled "QUOTESTORE"... under the appropriate "PRODUCT" Row...
but... it positions the text based on the selected items column position, with those items not selected blank...
eg: If Edwardian was the third option (lets say Victorian and Lean-To were 1 and 2) and Glass Roof was the 5th Option, (with Polycarbonate as the 4th), and finally "roof vent" is the 12th... with many others between , and after..... then my data appears (under row 14 "Product")
C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 ..........C12
" " " " Edwardian" " " Glass"......."Roof Vent"

which I can easily sort and filter... but... I need to have a button on main_menu user form called "Filter all blanks" (or whatever, which will loop from row 1 through 40 and, taking each row in turn, filter from column 2 (cos column 1 is the row index) to column 32, deleting blanks.... so that only the RELEVENT selected data from each multi-select-list box, is displayed in the row,

sheet name is QUOTESTORE

When I have this data, then I can start looking at a "Quote" form that pulls in each cell with VLOOKUP or something...

I have succesfully muddled through so far, but this one has had me scratching me head for 3 hours now... and im sure that when someone revels (probably 2 lines of code) I wil have a senior Homer Simpson moment.... "DOH !!!"

many thanks guys... you are all legends in helping me get this far...
I have code in my macros that I still struggle with, but it works a treat !! lol

slugifur (Sluggy Fur) after a scruffy old dog we affectionately names SLUGS.. but she moulted like a b***h !!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
So... whats the question im asking here... ?.

which I can easily sort and filter... but... I need to have a button on main_menu user form called "Filter all blanks" (or whatever, which will loop from row 1 through 40 and, taking each row in turn, filter from column 2 (cos column 1 is the row index) to column 32, deleting blanks.... so that only the RELEVENT selected data from each multi-select-list box, is displayed in the row,

sheet name is QUOTESTORE

Yes, what is the question?

I may not be able to offer a solution, but I did read your novel from top to bottom. You might be interested in knowing you missed a close prentices in the paragraph above. See the open one in red.

How about starting here with the sheet named QUOTESTORE and explain clearly and precisely what you want to do about deleting blanks. Just plain speak of what columns, rows and the like.

Regards,
Howard

Upvote 0
Job No

<tbody>
</tbody>
Date01/11/2014
Customer NameJOE SMITH
Address1120 Letsby Avenue
Address2
TownSometown
CountyWIltshire
PostodeSN11 2BQ
Phone77798776876
Emailwhatanodd@gmail.com
DescriptionJoe wants a new 3m x 4m conservatory
SurveyBasic Survey
Existing StructureSubstantial, brikwork, structural, glass
Break-up BaseBreak up Conservatory base / concrete
Insulated BaseFull base, as per conservatory
Wall OptionsBrick and Brick
Additional height1
drainsRaise and Seal manholeMove Rodding Eye
other
ProductVictorianGlass RoofK GlassBox Gutter
FittingBasic InstallationGlass RoofBox Gutter InstallationTile Hung Property

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hi Howard,

the above is the existing spreadsheet "captured survey data"....
and if you look towards the bottom, you will see the options I selected from my listboxes have been captured but the items not selected have been cptured as blanks..?
so I basically need a filter that loops down through the row numbers with mutliple selected items, and deletes the blanks, so that the record data appears contiguous...
it makes it easier for me to do the next bit of the code...

many thanks
cliff

Upvote 0
I'm thinking you want to start at the word "Options" and delete blank rows down to the bottom of the options data?

Howard

Upvote 0
I'm thinking you want to start at the word "Options" and delete blank rows down to the bottom of the options data?

Howard

Hi Howard.. No... I need every row in tact..cos a report will parse the data.... but some of the rows have multiple column data.. This is because the listbox where I clicked several options, say from a list of 20, has then sent all the data to the relevant spreadsheet row... but the "non selected" items have also appeared as blank data... so I need to effectively filter out the blanks so that each row contains the identifier (column1) eg, name or address1, etc....and in column 2 through x the actual data collected... NOT the blanks... so for example :
Fitting:Basic InstallationGlass RoofBox Gutter InstallationTile Hung Property

<tbody>
</tbody>
is saying that for the fitting selection, 4 options were chosen.... and I need it to appear like this:wth blanks removed
FittingBasic InstallationBox Gutter InstallationGlass RoofTile Hung Property

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
I can do this with a macro I recorded... but I need it to loop down all the rows.....and check columns 2 to 35 (may expand the range later)

Hope that helps

Cheers

Upvote 0
Give this a try, starts at the last column and increments back to column 2. Check out the msgbox output.

Also looks at the rows and eliminates the blanks there, I have those commented out as I think that would mess up your column formats.

You said you already had a macro and just needed a column looper, so you can delete the commented out lines and the msgbox and paste in your code.

Howard

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub ColumnsSearch()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim lastColumn As Long
    Dim lastRow As Long

lastColumn = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count

Dim i As Long, j As Long
    Dim cell As Range
    For i = lastColumn To 2 Step -1
    MsgBox i
        'lastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, i).End(xlUp).Row
        'For j = lastRow To 1 Step -1
        '    Set cell = Cells(j, i)
         '   If IsEmpty(cell) Then cell.Delete shift:=xlUp
        'Next j
    Next i

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Buy the way, I would be interested in seeing your code that eliminates blank cells in a row but does not alter the rows above or below the blank in the same column.

You say you recorded such a macro?

Howard

Upvote 0
Sub deleteblanks()
'
' deleteblanks Macro
'

'
Range("B18:J18").Select
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("QUOTESTORE").sort.SortFields.Clear
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("QUOTESTORE").sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range( _
"B18:J18"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:= _
xlSortNormal
With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("QUOTESTORE").sort
.SetRange Range("B18:J18")
.Header = xlGuess
.MatchCase = False
.Orientation = xlLeftToRight
.SortMethod = xlPinYin
.Apply
End With
End Sub

this works for each line... but i have 40 macros at the moment ... one for each row...
ive been looking to just have a loop for 1 to 40 that goes down each row and runs the macro...

im going to see if i can get your code integrated and see what happens..

cheers,
cliff

Upvote 0
See if this works for you.

Goes down column B and applies you code to each row column B to J.

Howard

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub ForEachRow()
Dim c As Range
Dim Lc As Long, lr As Long
Dim Brng As Range
Dim lColumn As Long

lr = Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row
Set Brng = Range("B1:B" & lr)

For Each c In Brng
  'Range("B18:J18").Select
  c.Resize(1, 9).Select

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("QUOTESTORE").Sort.SortFields.Clear
 ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("QUOTESTORE").Sort.SortFields.Add Key:= _
 c.Resize(1, 9), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:= _
 xlSortNormal

With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("QUOTESTORE").Sort
 .SetRange c.Resize(1, 9)
 .Header = xlGuess
 .MatchCase = False
 .Orientation = xlLeftToRight
 .SortMethod = xlPinYin
 .Apply
 End With

Next

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back