Simply copy-paste(all) changes the font

HMSTPI

I am attempting one of the most absolute basic things in Excel -- copy a range of cells in one workbooks and paste them to another --- fonts, colors, values, formulas, EVERYTHING. Both files are .xlsx -- both sheets have the EXACT same font set for the entire sheet (Candara) -- yet every time I Ctrl-V to paste it all --- the FONT CHANGES TO CALIBRI!!! Have you ever seen such a thing?

Attachments

• 2022-03-04_13-56-00.jpg
    2022-03-04_13-56-00.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 10

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Have you tried Paste Special instead of just Ctrl+V?
Hard to see in the pic, but the unwanted target font is referring to an empty cell but I take it that it also applies to cells below that have data.
There is an optional default font setting for new workbooks but I can't tell you if choosing your source font there would help.

Upvote 0
I think the most likely cause of the issue is that the 2 workbooks are running different themes.

If you look under PageLayout > Fonts (in the Themes group), is one showing Candara and one showing Calibri (or possibly nothing highlighted) ?

1646445158375.png

Upvote 0
Paste Special instead of Ctrl-V gives same results. Candara is my default sheet font and I THOUGHT was the themes definition. I never use themes because, like their awful pivot table templates, they are impractical in the real world. So that is probably the cause :rolleyes:. Will test it out today.

Upvote 0
NOT the Theme -- the themes were the same in both files --- the Fonts and Effects -- also the same (although the Font family selected on both is Calibri). The colors were different (I ALWAYS change color set to 2007-2010 colors but that wasn't done on the source file for some reason). So a little trial and error:
  1. Make color sets match (now all 'family' settings match) -> pasting all still changes the font.
  2. Change font family to Candara --> pasting all keeps the Candara font but changes the size (source is 10 and pastes as 11)
Here's my beef -- if I, as the user and controller of my sheets, uses paste ALL -- shouldn't it paste ALL!!! It used to. If I wanted it to do something different I'd select one of the alternate paste options. It seems like the themes are trumping my individual selection and I don't even use the dang things....???

Upvote 0
How are you setting the font to Candara ? Did you change the Normal style ? Do you have the Normal style applied to the copied data in teh source workbook ?

If you changed the Normal style on the source workbook did you also change the Normal style in the Target workbook to be Candara ?

Upvote 0
As I said -- I just change formulas on cells or by selecting the entire sheet --- I never use the styles.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back