simulate crosstab

ajm

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have been given a list of patient info relating to treatments offered. Its in the form of a new line for each treatment. Some patients have a single treatment, others have multiple treatments. All treatments are identified as either "Primary" for the first treatment, and "Secondary" for all others. I want to display the information as a single line per patient with the Primary treatment in the first column after their personal details and then each successive Secondary treatment in the columns after this. Can anyone advise?

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
first add a COUNTIF formula, something like NEWFIELD =IF(identifying field = Primary", 0, COUNTIF(identifying field = "Secondary", patient ID, patient ID field from for 1 to current row))

Then you can make a CROSSTAB

TRANSFORM MAX(treatment field)
SELECT patient ID, etc
FROM table
GROUP BY patient ID, etc
PIVOT NEWFIELD

Upvote 0
Hi Fazza,

Are you talking about crosstabbing in access?

Upvote 0
That COUNTIF was wrong earlier. Untested. Maybe better with COUNTIFS. Again untested
=COUNTIFS(row 1:current row patient ID, patient ID this row, row 1:current row identifying field, "Secondary")
Something like that to count successive secondary treatments per patient. I'm guessing that is fast enough for the amount of data you have.

I was not referring to cross tab in Access, though that should work too. Definition same as Excel.

Upvote 0
Fazza,

I don't understand what you mean. I have added an extra column (CrosstabIDs )to my data. It is similar to what I think you refer to above, in that it gives the successive "Secondary" treatments a number. Formula is:
Code:
=IF(I2="Primary",0,M1+1)
where I2 contains text Primary or Secondary. Using a Pivot Table, I can now spread these CrosstabIDs across the columns, with the Primary/Secondary underneath to form a two layer column header. Problem now is that I can't get the descriptions of the treatments to display. I can count them, sum, them etc, just not list them. I think a jump into VBA is probably neceessary to shift the actual treatment descriptions underneath the headers? I should have mentioned originally that the treatment information is text descriptions.
Is this what you were thinking of with your suggestion?

Upvote 0
hi,

Add an extra column, yes: formula like in post#4. That gives 0 for the primary, and then successive counts, per patient, of the secondary treatments.

Pivot table is no good. Just use a query for the crosstab result. (You could use VBA if you wanted but there is no need.)

Just thought, there is probably a 255 character text limit in the crosstab.

OK?

Upvote 0
I think I am starting to get it. convert the data to a table and import to query wizard, right?. after that, I am stuck again as i don't know how to crosstab in msquery.

Upvote 0
One way to create crosstab in MS Query is via the SQL button and entering text like in post #2 - just with your specific field names.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back