Single-user to Multi-users

ewize1

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a database originally was created for 1 person to use. Now, this database has to be shared by various people in the company over a network. Some are only allowed to view reports while others are allowed to make changes to it. How can I convert this database to a multi-users one, and maintaining its data integrity? I can possibly restrict 1 person to use the database at any one time. I know it's not going to be easy, but with the help of you guys I am sure it can be done. :rolleyes:

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
What you need to do is to split this db into a front-end/back-end. The back-end will contain only your tables and lives on the server, while the front-ends contains all the queries, forms, reports, modules, etc. The fe has no tables, only table links to the back-end. Each user has their own fe on their workstation and each fe contains only the objects that that user has permission to use. As well as being able to control who is accessing which objects, a fe/be split is pretty much imperative when dealing with multiple users (having more than one user accessing the same front-end object at the same time will assuredly lead to corruption).

Upvote 0
Dugantrain, thanks for taking the time to reply. It certainly shed much light on how I should go about doing it. I have the following queries, and I hope that you can provide me with some answer.

Each user has their own fe on their workstation

1. Does that mean that each user has to have a copy of Access on their pc?

each fe contains only the objects that that user has permission to use.

2. Does that mean that each fe has to be created seperately? Or its a matter of configuring each user? :confused:

Upvote 0
1. Yes, each user will have an actual .mdb file on their pc.
2. Create one master fe file containing all of the objects. Make different copies of the master and delete whichever objects in each version as appropriate.

You can also look into setting up different workgroups, which is the 'proper' way of assigning permissions; my suggestion above is more of a brute force way of doing things.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back