Sizing dynamic arrays based on data within a worksheet

MarkVMcCullagh

Board Regular
I have a worksheet that contains date/time data in Columns A-D
I have managed to load these into a VB static array. Once some calculations have been done the answers are posted back to elsewhere on the worksheet using a second array.

What I would like to do is generate a dynamic array that matches the number of rows of data involved. I am speaking about the first array ie. firstrange. The reason I want to convert this to dynamic rather than static is that it is more efficient and hopefully it won't crash when it encounters a row without data.

For your info columns A and C contain dates and columns B and D contain dates. Basically what I am doing is (C+D)-(A+B) for each row.

This is my first attempt at VB so I know my code will look rough. :p

Sub CategoriseCalls()
Dim firstrange As Variant
Dim secondrange As Variant
Dim i As Long
Dim VarMY As Date
firstrange = Range("a2:d65532").Value ' Select all cells in Column a-d
ReDim secondrange(1 To UBound(firstrange, 1), 1 To 2)
Var4 = 4 / 24 '4 hours
Var6 = 6 / 24 '6 hours
Var8 = 8 / 24 '8 hours
For i = 1 To UBound(firstrange, 1)
If (firstrange(i, 4) + firstrange(i, 3)) - (firstrange(i, 2) + firstrange(i, 1)) <= Var4 Then
secondrange(i, 1) = 4
Else
If (firstrange(i, 4) + firstrange(i, 3)) - (firstrange(i, 2) + firstrange(i, 1)) <= Var6 Then
secondrange(i, 1) = 6
Else
If (firstrange(i, 4) + firstrange(i, 3)) - (firstrange(i, 2) + firstrange(i, 1)) <= Var8 Then
secondrange(i, 1) = 8
Else
secondrange(i, 1) = 9
End If
End If
End If
VarMY = DateValue(Month(firstrange(i, 1)) & "/" & Year(firstrange(i, 1)))
secondrange(i, 2) = VarMY
Next i
Range("j2").Resize(UBound(firstrange, 1), 2).Value = secondrange
MsgBox "Completed"
End Sub

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Just check the length of your list before assigning it to an array. Test this to see if it works as needed.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> CategoriseCalls()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> firstrange()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> secondrange()

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, lastRow <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> VarMY <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Date</SPAN>

lastRow = Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row

firstrange = Range("a2:d" & lastRow).Value <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Select all cells in Column a-d</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ReDim</SPAN> secondrange(1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(firstrange, 1), 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> 2)

var4 = 4 / 24 <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'4 hours</SPAN>
    var6 = 6 / 24 <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'6 hours</SPAN>
    var8 = 8 / 24 <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'8 hours</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(firstrange, 1)
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> (firstrange(i, 4) + firstrange(i, 3)) - (firstrange(i, 2) + firstrange(i, 1))
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <= var4: secondrange(i, 1) = 4
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <= var6: secondrange(i, 1) = 6
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <= var8: secondrange(i, 1) = 8
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> Else: secondrange(i, 1) = 9
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN>

VarMY = DateValue(Month(firstrange(i, 1)) & "/" & Year(firstrange(i, 1)))

secondrange(i, 2) = VarMY
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i

Range("j2").Resize(UBound(firstrange, 1), 2).Value = secondrange

MsgBox "Completed"
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
hi!
try this one!
Code:
dim firstrange()
dim tmp as variant
set  tmp= Range("a2:d" & range("a65536").end(xlup).row)
firstrange=tmp.value
This would create an array of size equal to the size of the cell having content.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back