Slightly complicated Unique list

Beau the dog

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good afternoon

I have a table of data, over 25000 rows long. I need to extract a unique list of vehicle registrations per contract. the column which contains the vehicle registrations doesn't just have registrations in, sometimes it says workshop, consumables etc.

How do I extract the unique list, but only return the registrations, example snapshot below. I have put dummy registrations in, but they all follow the vehicle registration format (AB12 ABC).

For reference, Contracts are in column D and registrations and other stuff is in column G.

As always your help is very much appreciated

Attachments

• Excel screen grab.PNG
    Excel screen grab.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 10
This formula works, I extended the the formulas down to row 50,000...because this data will be added to on a monthly basis. so where your example stated $G$2:$G$200, I increased to $G$2:$G$500000 for example.

However, I made my data set a table, so when I add to the bottom it adds to the table. When I swap out the column range to the table headers in the formula, it doesn't work??? I get the "No Data" you set in the formula....?

I really appreciate the formula you gave me and it works, I just don't understand why it doesn't work when referencing the table headers rather than the column reference?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
=UNIQUE(FILTER(Table3[[#Headers],[Extra Info VRM]],(Table3[[#Headers],[Serco Site]]=Ref!C53)*(LEN(Table3[[#Headers],[Extra Info VRM]])=8)*(ISNUMBER(MID(Table3[[#Headers],[Extra Info VRM]],3,2)+0)),"No data"))

Extra Info VRM is the registration column (Column G)
Serco Site is the contract Column (Column D)

I should probably add, I'm writing this formula on a separate tab, separate tab is called "Ref". I write your first formula on Ref!C52

Upvote 0
Ok, get rid of the #Header part. It should be like
Excel Formula:
Table3[Extra Info VRM]
Also you should never refer to the name of the sheet the formula is on so use
Excel Formula:
UNIQUE(FILTER(Table3[Extra Info VRM],(Table3[Serco Site]=C53)

Upvote 0
Ok, get rid of the #Header part. It should be like
Excel Formula:
Table3[Extra Info VRM]
Also you should never refer to the name of the sheet the formula is on so use
Excel Formula:
UNIQUE(FILTER(Table3[Extra Info VRM],(Table3[Serco Site]=C53)

You sir, are a bloody legend!

One last problem, again this now works, but when I drag it to the right, the table headers move to the right also. How do I lock the table headers like I would with a usual formula with $

Upvote 0
Had a feeling you might ask that. :)
Excel Formula:
=UNIQUE(FILTER(Table3[[Extra Info VRM]:[Extra Info VRM]],(Table3[[Serco Site]:[Serco Site]]=C53)*(LEN(Table3[[Extra Info VRM]:[Extra Info VRM]])=8)*(ISNUMBER(MID(Table3[[Extra Info VRM]:[Extra Info VRM]],3,2)+0)),"No data"))

Upvote 0
Had a feeling you might ask that. :)
Excel Formula:
=UNIQUE(FILTER(Table3[[Extra Info VRM]:[Extra Info VRM]],(Table3[[Serco Site]:[Serco Site]]=C53)*(LEN(Table3[[Extra Info VRM]:[Extra Info VRM]])=8)*(ISNUMBER(MID(Table3[[Extra Info VRM]:[Extra Info VRM]],3,2)+0)),"No data"))

Thank you, really appreciate your time.

Have a great bank holiday weekend!!

Upvote 0
Good morning,

I've realised this formula is not pulling through all the registrations and I'm trying to understand why!

For some reason, it's not pulling through all the registrations that meet the criteria in your formula, do you have any ideas why?!

for example, LK15BBJ in the table I posted on page one, is one of the registrations not coming through?

Upvote 0
Does it have a space before the BBJ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back