Slow calculation on 1 sheet only in workbook

Mickeyfinn

Any ideas as to why all of a sudden I have 1 particular sheet, in a workbook of 7 or so sheets, that has decided to calculate slow.
I know that it contains about 100 cells using Lookup but it has worked faster before I'm sure.
Also is there any other way of getting data from Access to a specific cell or cells in Excel other than what I have done by using 'Output to' an excel.xls sheet and then looking up the data in that to return on the specific cell or cells in my original workbook sheet.
many thanks in Advance for any help
Mick

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I’m not to sure about your speed problem, but 100 lookups shouldn’t make any discernable difference to calculation speed I wouldn’t think.

With your Access data, have you investigated (in Excel) Data>Import External Data>New Database Query. Select MS Access Database, and you can use MS Query to directly query your database from Excel. You just need to Refresh your query when needed, but (I think from memory) that you are prompted to do so when opening the workbook.

Upvote 0
Slow Calcs AGAIN

Firstly Thanks to Craig and Brian and others for replying, has been a lot of help although I've been learning more about everything else but havent solved my problem.
Am sorting out loads of Dynamic Name ranges to strink things up a bit but think from the advice I've had and reading the stuff on here that its something to do with this VOLATILE thing.
I'm sure I dont have anything volatile ie. Now() Today() etc. But how can I be sure and how can I correct it if there is. My Functions and formulars are all built in or from the toolbar menu and not in VBA as far as I know.
And I do have far more complicated and larger workbooks than this that don't do that bloody 'Calculation' thing in the bottom left corner.
So any ideas how I can stop or speed that up.
Thanks again
Mick

Upvote 0
Slow Calcs AGAIN

Firstly Thanks to Craig and Brian and others for replying, has been a lot of help although I've been learning more about everything else but havent solved my problem.
Am sorting out loads of Dynamic Name ranges to strink things up a bit but think from the advice I've had and reading the stuff on here that its something to do with this VOLATILE thing.
I'm sure I dont have anything volatile ie. Now() Today() etc. But how can I be sure and how can I correct it if there is. My Functions and formulars are all built in or from the toolbar menu and not in VBA as far as I know.
And I do have far more complicated and larger workbooks than this that don't do that bloody 'Calculation' thing in the bottom left corner.
Thanks again
Mick

Upvote 0
Slow Calcs AGAIN

Thanks again
Mick
WHOOPS! Sorry about the double posting

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back